⚫Chapter 20⚫

"So, what exactly is the process?" I asked Sharian. I had just entered Sharian's room in the basement of the castle. He had to check my health before we started the process. There were usually other elves in the room getting checked up, but today it was just me.

"Well, basically we mix the petals of three flowers from the Island of Aurora and create a potion that you will drink. It will do most of the transforming while you're asleep. Then we inject you with blood samples every type of elf living in Aeriodvell. You also will receive storm powers, acid, and echo powers just like the dragons," he stated. "So I'll be half-dragon?" I jokingly suggested. Sharian laughed. "Not quite."

I then took a seat onto the bed. "Is that it?" I asked. It didn't seem complicated at all. The only complicated part was if I would live or die. "There are other things too like sprinkling the dust of the Gods onto your body. Also, the Elven priest will cast protection, strength, wisdom and other spells onto your body while you're sleeping," Sharian said.

"Dust of the Gods? What is that?" I asked. "At our main prayer site, we have a jar that's filled with black dust. It's been there since the beginning of time and is only used for sacred things like bringing an elf back to life and in your case turning a human into an elf."

"Dang, have you've done this before?"

"No, but I've been reading about it all my life. I have spent days and nights reading about it and studying it. I know what I'm doing," he said. I believed him. He seemed so confident with the whole process which made me feel a bit more confident too. Suddenly a knock sounded against the door. "Come in," Sharian called out. The door opened and in stepped Nia. She looked a bit down, but nevertheless came inside and walked over towards us.

"Um, even though I don't agree with your decision Xirus, I will be here for you," she said softly. "Thanks." I could see the fear in her eyes which made me a bit sad. "Everything is going to be fine," I told her. She nodded before turning to look at Sharian. "Ok, what's first?" she asked him.

"I have to check his organs," Sharian said. "As well as his hearing, sight and other things." He then turned to look at me. "I need you to remove your shirt Xirus."

My heart immediately began to race. It was pounding so loudly, I was certain both Sharian and Nia could hear it. I didn't want them to see my scars and bruises. I wasn't mentally ready for them to see them. "Xirus?" Sharian asked. "Are you ok?"

"Uh yeah," I responded. It was now or never. I suddenly sat up from the bed. I braced myself for their reactions while pulling my black t-shirt over my head. Almost immediately I heard Nia gasp. It obviously wasn't a gasp of awe, but rather of shock. I looked at Sharian to see him with a startled expression. Nia took a step closer without removing her eyes from my skin. "Xirus..." she mumbled before placing her hand over her mouth.

"When my parents died, I had to go live with family friends. My parents never had any siblings and their parents died long before I was born, so I didn't really have a choice. At first, they treated me fairly well, but maybe after two weeks of living there, that's when it all started. The abuse. Unspeakable things have happened to me. One time she even threw a glass cup at my chest." I pointed at the long scar located in the middle of my chest.

"They divorced eight months later. I assumed Jason would leave me alone, but the abuse actually got worse. He hated me. I was weak back then so I couldn't fight back, but when I turned nineteen, I had decided enough was enough. I started going to the gym and my muscles grew. Jason knew not to touch me. I got a job and began to look after myself as well. The night before my twenty-first birthday, Jason tried to kill me. After stabbing him with a pen, I ran away. That is why I always flinch when you touch me, Nia."