⚫Chapter 49⚫

Thursday, March 31

"Forward! Backward!" I walked around the army of elves as they followed orders from one of their commanders. They lunged forward driving their weapons straight and then lunged backward retrieving their spears in a swift motion. "Forward! Backward" There were around five thousand High Elves standing before me. They were practicing their formations.

I walked around feeling impressed. These elves were very good. The Avariels and the Elementals were also very good. However, I wanted them to be the very best. So if we ever had opposition in the future they would be ready. We would be ready.

"Xirus."

I stopped walking dead in my tracks and inclined my ear.

"Xirus."

Someone was calling me. It was a female voice, but it wasn't the same voice I usually heard in my head. And for some odd reason, it was like she was speaking aloud. Not in my head, but as if she was here physically.

I turned around and looked into the forest. It was coming from there. "Are you ok my King?" one of the commanders asked me. "Yes... please continue. I will be back in a moment," I told him.

I walked away from the soldiers and made my way into the forest. With my hand clutching my sword, I waited for the voice again.

"Xirus."

"Where are you?" I called out. As I began to walk deeper and deeper into the forest, it grew darker despite it being so light outside. The trees seemed crowded as well. I wasn't a fan of lurking in dark, sketchy places, but someone was out there.

"Over here."

I turned left and began to walk in that direction. After walking for a couple of minutes, I turned around hoping I didn't go too far into the forest. Unfortunately, I couldn't even see the border. I had gone too far. I remained still waiting to hear the voice again. Moments had passed and still nothing. However, despite not hearing the woman's voice, I wasn't hear anything at all. Not the sound of birds chirping, or the wind blowing. Not even the sound of the animals that lived in the trees.

"Xirus."

She was behind me. I could see her from the corner of my eye. In hesitation, I slowly turned around.

It was a female Elf. I had never seen her before in my life. She had white hair that reached down to her belly. Her eyes were an emerald green. On her head was a silver crown and on her neck was a silver necklace with a small crystal pendant. She was also wearing a long white dress. She wasn't from Aeriodvell. Perhaps she was the elf that the former council member had encountered many centuries years ago.

"W-Who are you?" I asked with a stammer.

"I am a messenger."

"Who sent you?"

"They live up above."

I scrunched my eyebrows. They? Up above? Was she talking about the Gods?

"I am here to tell you something important, Xirus. Something is coming. Something that you are not prepared for and she is not prepared for."

"Nia?" I asked. Would our kingdom be at war soon?

"No. Your sister, Leilani." My eyes widened. I knew it. She was real. She existed and her name was Leilani.

"You need to go back to the human side and warn her. You won't be able to defeat them alone. You need her and she needs you."

"Who?" I asked.

"The enemy."

My throat suddenly became dry. I suddenly recalled bad memories of Jason beating me. The feeling of fear, pain, and anger rushed through my body all at once. I told myself I was never going back. I clenched my fists as my body began to shake. "I c-can't go back to the human s-side," I stuttered. "I don't belong there."

"Leilani is there."

I threw myself onto the ground in defeat. In denial. "But I am not ready. I d-don't think I will ever be," I sighed.

"You don't have much time. You must hurry before it's too late."

"But I can't go back there!" I shouted. I slammed my fist against the ground and immediately a pit was formed.

"You are ready, Xirus."

I placed both of my hands on my head as I panted in despair. Why was this happening? "How will I know where to find her?" I asked while getting up. But to my surprise, the Elven goddess was gone.

"Hello?" I called out into the forest.

"You will know."

-

"What do you mean you're going back to the human's side?" Nia asked me. I had gathered my friends together so I could tell them everything. "I met someone. I think she was a female Elven goddess. She told me that there's something coming and that I need to go warn my sister Leilani. She lives back on the human side," I told them.

"So you really do have a sister," Elora stated. "Is she human?"

Wow. I didn't even think about that. Was she human? Maybe she was, but the way the Elven goddess talked about her made me think she wasn't. She said we needed each other. What did she mean by that? "I am not sure," I finally said.

"She must be so pretty," Nia gushed. "But what do you mean something is coming..." she asked me. "I'm not sure. She didn't tell me, but I know it won't be good," I responded.

"Well, you can't go alone. We'll come to make sure nothing happens to you," Palinourus said.

"Pal, nothing is going to happen to him. He's Xirus," Kai said. I chuckled after hearing Kai's words. He was right, I would be fine. If I needed to use my powers, I would use them. "I have to go alone. Don't worry, I'll be fine," I told them. "So who's going to be in charge of Aeriodvell when you're gone? You have so many duties. Also how long are you going for?" Dior asked.

"I shouldn't be gone for too long. I should be back in under a week. And you guys will look after Aeriodvell. I trust that you all can work together," I told them.

After instructing them, the boys and Elora left. Only Nia and I remained. "Xirus," she said before reaching out to hold my hands. "Are you going to be ok?" I looked at her and saw that she was concerned.

"Yes. I'll be ok," I told her. "Don't worry. Everything will be fine. I am going to warn her and perhaps she'll come back with me. I'll leave tomorrow morning and I'll be back in no time."

Nia smiled before placing her arms around me for a warm embrace. "I'll miss you," she said softly. "I'll miss you too." I then placed a kiss on her forehead. "And please be safe. Don't run into any trouble. If a week has gone by and you're not back, I'm going to come and get you," she said in a serious tone.

"I won't let that happen. Don't worry Nia, everything will be ok."

I couldn't believe I had a sister. I was going back to the human side after I swore I would never go again, and something bad was coming. We had been living peacefully for two years. But I knew this period of peace was about to end or perhaps had already ended.

War was coming.