Chapter 15

"Look, I'm fine. I'm doing great actually," I tell Conner.

He sighs. "Okay, fine. Just be safe," He says. "And, Nessa. Happy Birthday,"

I smile. "I'm flattered you remembered,"

"I'm your best friend. I will carry this date to my grave," He says and I laugh.

"Well, this will be the first birthday that we wouldn't be spending together," I sigh. "I have to say, I will not miss those parties," My eyes then go wide. "Oh my god! Mom and Lydia and their stupid birthday baskets. They're gonna find out that I'm not where I'm supposed to be," I run a hand through my hair.

"Don't worry, I'll make sure they don't," Conner reassures me.

"Thank you," I sigh. "What would I do without you?"

"I'm awesome, I know," I laugh. "Bye," He cuts the call.

It's only been a day since I've been staying here and me and Freya have gotten closer. She's been telling me all about my family history and teaching me some spells too. Conner was right, I feel better knowing everything.

I lower the phone from my ear and turn around. I look at Hayley who stood in the doorway. "Please don't tell me you heard that?" I groan.

"It's your birthday?" She walks in as I sit down on the bed.

"Tomorrow. I kind of don't like celebrating it a lot. My sister, Lydia, she'd always through this big epic party for me whether I liked it or not," I smile at the thought. "But ever since I found out I was adopted, it just reminded me of how I killed my birth mother right after I was born. It hurt me knowing that I'd never get to meet her. So, then that led to me making the promise of never trying to find out more about my birth parents because someone told me that if it hurts too much, I shouldn't waste my time holding onto it, I should just let go and live my life like a normal teenage girl. But I knew it would never be normal with the whole 'me being a witch' thing," I sigh and look at Hayley.

"It's not your fault with what happened to your mother. I'm pretty sure she knows that it's not your fault too. Don't put this much pressure on yourself because you think you deserve it. If she got to know what a great kid you turned out to be, she would be so proud," Hayley tells me. I smile at her.

"Thank you,"

"Now tell me more about this 'mysterious guy' who keeps giving you this great advice. Was he the one on the phone earlier?"

I laugh. "Yeah, Conner. He's my best friend," I tell her. "We've known each other since we were five, but lately it's kind of been awkward,"

"Why?" Hayley asks.

"Well, on the night of our winter formal, we kind of kissed. And when we talked about it, he poured his heart out and me, being me, I lied to him and told him that I don't feel the same way. I just, I was scared and didn't want to ruin what we already had, because what if we did go for it and it ended up not working out, we would ruin the whole best friends for life relationship that has gotten more awkward because we dated for like 3 weeks," I explain to her. Hayley chuckles. "Yeah, I know, typical boy trouble" I laugh.

"Hey, maybe it might work out. Maybe it won't. But what matters is how much you enjoyed it while it lasted. Hiding your feelings won't do you any good," She says. And I kind of agree with her. Sometimes, it never ends up good when you hide your feelings, and a little part of me regrets not telling Conner about how I really feel because I was scared. The other part agrees with what I did. I'm kind of stuck in the middle.