Pancake

Monse's POV

Jamal has a pretty early start tomorrow so we won't stay out late. I have marking to do so I'll be up late anyway, I wonder if Cesar is busy. Recently things have been great with him, so great I cook for him a few nights a week when he comes over to keep me company while I mark. It's weird how close we've been without addressing where this is heading. I don't even realize how late it is until I see Ruby's text asking if anyone is on the way to dinner. I always let this happen, thankfully I took out my dress thing morning. I get ready quickly knowing Cesar will be here any minute. As soon as I put on my heels I hear him outside. How does he manage to always get here at the right time?

I grab my bag and walk to the car trying not to fall in these heels. Why did Ruby have to insist we go somewhere super fancy tonight? Jamal doesn't even care for all that stuff anyways.

I sit in the car and realise Cesar is staring.

"Are you going to stare at me all night or are you going to drive?" I snap, we're already late enough there's no time for him to be weird

"Monse, you look absolutely gorgeous in that dress. I'm sorry if I'm staring I really can't help it," he blushes as he starts driving looking anywhere but at me.

"Uh, thanks," I reply still confused as to what is happening

The drive is silent until I remember I have papers to mark.

"Hey, I have some marking to do later, do you wa-,"

"Of course I'll come over, those nights we're up working have led to some of my best work," he excitedly cuts me off.

How does this guy manage to read my mind still?

The rest of the drive is a comfortable silence. We finally arrive at the restaurant and thankfully Jamal isn't here yet. As we approach the table Ruby and Jasmine are smirking for some reason.

"So did you guys intend on matching?" Ruby asks amusedly. I look between myself and Cesar then realize what he means, we're both in full black and I have to admit it, we look amazing together.

By the time Cesar and I sit down at the table, Jamal walks in with Margarita looking straight out of GQ. When did he learn to dress like this? I've missed so much.

"Alright guys, let's get this show on the road," Jamal starts as he sits down.

"Excited for the dig Jamal?" I start

"Definitely, I've always wanted to see somewhere as beautiful as India and to get to visit for free is just amazing." Jamal grins

We bombard him with questions until Margarita whispers something to Jamal.

"Well guys I have to head out at 5 so we should probably get going," Jamal fake yawns.

"It's alright boo, you could just say you want some quuaaallity time with your girl," Jasmine wiggles her eyebrows.

We say our goodbyes and head our separate ways. Cesar and I head to his house to get his work and an overnight bag. When we get there Oscar and his friends are outside. I don't want to stay outside so I follow Cesar to his room.

"Cesar where did you find such a fine ass hyna?" one of Oscar's friends starts as we get out of the car

"Damn ma, you need a real man," another yells.

"Come on Mon, just ignore them," Cesar whispers as he grabs my hand and leads me to his room.

"Could you just grab a shirt from my top drawer for me while I pack up these plans?" He asks as he turns to put together his work. I go to his drawers and I'm shocked. On top, he still has pictures of us from Senior prom, multiple homecomings and even Olivia's quinces. I can't believe he kept all of these.

"Uh hey, I packed up the plans and changed so we can head out," he says from the door breaking me out of my thoughts. I stop staring, grab the shirt and put it in his bag.

We head out the door and head to the car but not before Oscar comments, "Mano, you're sleeping over? Enjoy your night," then chuckles.

We head to my house and it doesn't take long for us to get settled into my living room and get to work.

I mark papers while he works until I feel myself getting sleepy.

Cesar's POV

I look at this queen fast asleep on the other end of the couch, pen still in her hand and as much as I'm enjoying spending more time with her, what are we doing. Will we ever address us? We are acting like a couple but ignoring it anyways. I don't want to scare her off, I want her to be ready but my curiosity is getting the best of me.

The next thing I know its morning and Monse is still asleep on the couch. I should probably make her some breakfast so she has one less thing to worry about when she gets up. I can't cook as well as Monse but I can make pancakes which she loves. I realise I'm content with not knowing what we are for now and just making her happy.

Monse's POV

I wake up to the smell of chocolate chip pancakes. What happened last night? I look to the table that's covered in floor plans and assignments then I remember marking with Cesar. It's still so weird how much time we spend together now. Neither of us brings up what we are doing but I need to figure out what I want. When I look at all we do now we are basically like we were before the breakup. Spend nights together talking about our dreams and aspirations. Cooking for each other. Watching movies until late. He carries me to school every day and he's never late and never complains. I enjoy just being with him so much. I haven't been in a relationship for almost three years but my relationship with Keith left me insecure and just unsure of any relationship. Cesar isn't Keith but with all our past issues I can't help wonder if history would repeat itself.

I begin to pack my bag for work and organize the assignments I graded. By the time I'm finished I see Cesar carrying a plate full of pancakes that I'm ready to devour.

"Good morning Mon, made your favourite," he smiles handing me the pancakes.

I'm so hungry I don't even respond I just start eating.

"These are so good," I say with my mouth full of pancakes. When did he learn how to cook like this? How soon can he make these again?

"Only the best for you," he responds looking straight in my eyes 100% serious and it hits me like a ton of bricks I'm still so in love with him.