Missing

Many of you voted for me to post this so you could read it, if you don't like it please don't be rude about it. With that said I hope you enjoy.

*****

Corey was practicing with his band like he often did, he didn't have lyrics for any songs nor did they need them. Well that's what his band mates thought at least, so at the moment they were also planning. Corey usually had some sort of crazy scheme, some sort of idea to try and make them famous.

This time he didn't, in fact he hadn't had one for over a week, not because he couldn't come up with one but because he was bored. He was just so bored with all of this, it was fun at first but it felt like something was missing, something he needed. He knew he had it once but it was just out of his reach now and he couldn't continue without it.

They ended practice just a little early and when everyone left Corey went to his room, he closed the door and sighed. He sat at his desk and got to work, that thing that was missing felt like it was a little closer now, it made him smile. Then he heard something, as the sound got louder he realized that it was raining, now there's an idea.

He quickly finished what he'd been writing before starting on this new idea, he just barely finished before he heard a new sound. Voices, he got up and went to see what was going on, they sounded louder then usual which wasn't normal. He ended up outside Trina's door, she was supposed to be his sister but she didn't act like one, at all.

Trina appeared to be ranting to Mina, "Ugh, Corey's band is awful, I can't believe he thinks he'll end up being famous when he grows up, he'll always be a loser."

This should hurt him, it really should, but he never thought nor expected her to like his band, even he didn't at the moment. He walked away from her door and then came to his parents' room, he could hear them talking too. He listened a little more carefully, "Corey's fine the way he is."

"I'm not saying that he isn't, I'm saying that he should try to do something else with his life. He's not going anywhere with his band, I just wish he'd spend his time doing something useful, something worthwhile."

Now Corey should feel really hurt by that one, of course, he still didn't, after all he'd never taken much stock in other people's opinions of him. But something was bothering him now, he wanted to know what he was missing, what made him feel like this was worth it. Like his music was worth it, like being here and doing what he did was all worth it.

He decided to leave the house, he didn't care if it was raining or not, he just wanted out for a while. He didn't even grab a jacket or something before he left, he needed to think and getting out of that house was crucial to doing that. So he just walked out the front door and tried to think, what had changed that made him feel like this?

He didn't even know what he felt, it was just empty, he'd felt that before but this was worse, like a black void. After walking for a while he decided to just sit down, so he sat on the curb of the sidewalk near the road. He hated this, all of it, but he didn't know what was wrong so he couldn't fix it, he really hated this.

Meanwhile, a certain popular kid had been walking down the street while holding his umbrella, Nick Mallory simply wanted to be alone for a bit. Being the most popular guy in town tended to make moments of solidarity rare so this was uncommon for him. As he was walking he noticed a figure on the curb of the sidewalk, as he got closer he began to recognize them.

He recognized Corey Riffin, a kid he'd seen on multiple occasions ever since he started his band that seemed to play everywhere. They even went to the same high school, of course Nick was a year or two above him but that was beside the point. Nick wasn't entirely sure if he even knew he was there, he looked like he was deep in though about something.

He almost looked sad but that could just be the rain, still Nick wanted to at least see if he was okay. Nick soon stopped near Corey, "Hey Corey Riffin, are you okay?"

Corey had known Nick was there but honestly hoped he'd keep walking, but he was here now and probably couldn't get rid of him. Corey sighed, "Just thinking."

Nick sat down, "About what?"

Corey shrugged, "It doesn't really matter."

Now Nick looked a bit concerned, "Are you sure?" Corey just stood up, he tried to walk away but Nick stopped him, "What's wrong?"

Corey couldn't help but smile in amusement, "I wouldn't even know where to start."

Nick seemed a bit surprised, Corey just started walking away and this time Nick didn't stop him. Corey walked home feeling far more confused them he had before, he didn't know why he said that to Nick. The past was the past and those were his problems, he didn't want to talk about them so why did he say that?

To make matters worse he still didn't know what was missing, he felt like throwing something because of how frustrated he was. But that wasn't how he was supposed to act, he was supposed to be happy not throw things in anger. Corey groaned in frustration before trying to decide what to do next, his best option was to probably sleep.

With that thought in mind he changed out of his wet clothes and into pajamas before going to bed. Meanwhile, Nick was completely shocked, he'd never seen Corey like that in all the time that he'd known him. Corey was always smiling, even when others couldn't he did, but Corey had sounded so tired and sad before he left.

It was like the weight of the world was on his shoulders but he'd buried that pain so deep even he had trouble finding it. After a bit Nick started walking home, but he told himself that he was going to figure out what was wrong with Corey. Something was bothering him and Nick had to try and help, he just felt like he had to do something to help.