~chapter 5~

~Chapter 5~

~3rd POV~

He watched as the girls began to converse with the prince and sat boredly. Of course, he had to keep his proud and professional  face on. He began to zone out, thinking about random stuff like can fish see water, or what he would wear tomorrow. "Excuse me." He heard distantly. He didnt notice that someone was talking to him and kept thinking. 'I have that leather vest that would go good with the-' "excuse me." Izuku heard once again. Only then had he realized that he'd been muttering out loud. "Oh! Uhm-sorry I-" he froze once he realized that it was the prince that stood questioning him. Midoriya immediately lifted his chin and stood righted. "Your highness. How can I assist you?" Nervous sweats dropped down his forehead. "What's your name?"
"I-- my name is Izuku Midoriya, your highness." He stood with his hands bound to his sides. "Please, Midoriya, there is no need to be so formal. My name is Shoto Todoroki."
  "I am just displaying the proper demeanor, sir."
"Tell me, what do you think of my father, the king?"  Shoto seemed cautious. "H-he is a great leader and ruler, your highness-"  "Please, call me Todoroki."
"Right! Y- Todoroki." It felt awkward and weird to call such royalty by such a casual name. "Answer me this too, what is it like in this kingdom? The conduct, behavior..." Izuku was wondering why he would be so curious about their kingdom. "Oh, well it's pretty great.." He still seemed a bit nervous, "King Yagi is very caring and a great leader, and..." Izuku kept talking and talking about how the kingdom functioned and such. Shoto listened to it all. It sounded glorious. Izuku kept chattering on and on about it. It was sort of lovable how he was so excited to talk about it. "I see." Todoroki grumbled. "Is something the matter, your h-- Todoroki?" Midoriya suspected. "Someday my kingdom will be that great. It'll be greater." Shoto looked solemn. "What do you mean?" The boy questioned. "The Enji kingdom is suffering under his rule. Naturally, I wouldn't be saying any of this to you but you seem trustable." Izuku was confused and concerned. "Uh, yeah... anyways... shouldn't you be talking to the maidens? Don't get me wrong, It's nice to talk with you, but that's why you're here, right?" He worried. "They don't interest me." He groaned. "It will upset my father, but I'll just have to endure it-"
"Shoto!" Enji's voice bellowed. "What in the world are you doing?" He stomped over. "Your purpose of being here is to pick which you'll marry to! Who is this boy?"
"He is one of the escorts and I find him quite enjoyable."
"You aren't here to make playmates, Shoto. Now go talk to the Maidens before I grow into my grave!" He turned and walked back to the horses. "It'd be better for everyone if you did, dear father." Todoroki spat underneath his breath. Izuku was bewildered at Todoroki's hatred for his own father. "Right, then... I should get going." he sweated. "Of course." Shoto turned back to him. "I'll assign my bird to send you a letter without my father's knowledge." He murmured before stalking back to the confused group of young women. Izuku didn't know how to react. Had he just made acquaintances with the Prince of the neighboring kingdom? He was going to send him a letter? How would he even know where to send it to?
Midoriya quickly took out some  thin aged paper and chose a feather from the ground. While no one was looking, he slipped the quill into some mud and began to write his name and description of his house on the paper. It was good enough. Before he knew it, the event was over, with Todoroki explaining to his father that none caught his eye and his father being enraged. Just as it came to an end, Shoto felt slender fingers slide into his pocket and plant something there. He looked back, startled, to see the emerald eyes of the boy and his pleasant smile before he turned back to his group of maidens. Shoto turned away and slid the item out of his pocket and read it

"Family household Midoriya, I live in a small tan shack on the outside of the kingdom. It's the only house with a black roof! The window to the left of the house is fine. Sincerely,  Izuku Midoriya, but you can call me Deku."

Todoroki felt the corners of his lips tighten with a small grin. He felt happy.