twelve

Lorena dressed in a pair of shorts and a tank top and sat on her bed, scowling. She strongly disliked Max. All that she had seen so far of this place, being the room, was beautiful. Orion was scarce, and that bothered her. Strangely enough, she wanted to be close to him.

It didn't feel right that she was separated from her mate. If she had to be forced to be here, she felt that she had the right to be near the one person she felt semi-comfortable around.

And the room was boring. There was no TV, she had nothing to do with her hands, and the room felt a little too unlived in. She remembered that at her old house, her family would get together and play games when the television went out, or she would clean or knit or something.

Even if her family had nothing to do, she could at least go for a walk or just head outside and train with the other wolves.

Then her thoughts wandered to Vera. She could only hope she was okay. Was she lucky enough to get a mate like Orion?

She then realized, she was lucky. Orion hadn't raped her, he hadn't touched her inappropriately. He hadn't even mentioned their mating process to her yet. And he cared about her well-being. He hadn't hit her like other male wolves did to their mates to teach her a lesson about being as insufferable as she was, and honestly, that's more than she expected from him.

She jumped when the door opened again and she saw Max. "You ready for your tour?"

Lorena was very close to declining and telling Max to buzz off, but she was terribly bored in this room by herself. Besides, once she knew her surroundings, she could sneak around and possibly even find a way to run away. "I guess." She stood and slipped on some fuzzy slippers left at the foot of the bed.

She followed Max out of the room and she gasped when she saw the hallway. Everything looked so...expensive. There was gold everywhere and everything was shiny.

"Wow."

"Amazing, huh?"

"Orion must come from a very wealthy family."

"You have no idea." Max stopped walking abruptly, and if Lorena hadn't stopped drooling over the gold lining almost every part of the hall, she would've run smack dab into her back. "This is the kitchen. You can come in here at any time and request that a meal be prepared at the push of a button. When you take your place as Luna of our pack, you will be responsible for making sure Orion has at least three meals a day. He forgets to feed himself sometimes..."

Lorena bit her lip to hold back her laugh and when Max looked at her incredulously, laughed so hard, tears came to her eyes. She held her stomach and bent over and she would've fallen if Max hadn't grabbed her arm.

Finally she regained her composure and sighed deeply. "Forgive me, but I won't take it upon myself to feed a grown man three meals a day like a toddler. Alpha or not, that's his responsibility, not mine. I don't cook anyways!"

"Tradition says-"

"Says what? That an alpha nuts in me once and I'm an indebted servant to him my whole life? I have to rear his pups, clean, and make sure baby Owion get three square meals a day? What kind of shit-show are you running here?"

"Lorena."

Lorena froze at Orion's stern voice and turned around to see him with a less than pleased look on his face. She looked down at her fuzzy slipper clad feet, and suddenly they were the most captivating thing in the world at that moment.

Max gasped behind her and bowed quickly. "Your Highness."

Orion waved her off. "Thank you, Max. I'll take it from here."