3 - Survival Training

Whilst the new world was beautiful, it had also become dangerous. Wild dogs, wolves, bears and cougars littered the landscape and weren't afraid to come searching for a meal. It was dangerous just stepping out your door so I decided that to keep Wren safe, I'd train her up just as I'd done with Athena in a slightly less intense program. I taught her how to run fast, how to hide in the shadows and how to cause distractions. But that wasn't all.

'Today we're gonna learn how to swim.' Tearing my black coat off, I peeled away my military jacket and the new white shirt Athena had got me. She said the grey one was falling to pieces so I had to change it. She'd tried to make me replace the jacket too but I refused to part with it. We compromised by her sewing it back together with big green patches of fabric. It'd do. Kicking off my boots and socks, I waded into the lake and beckoned my daughter to me. 'C'mon.'

'But my clothes will get wet.' Wren objected, tugging at the pleats of her blue and white gingham dress.

'S'fine. Mommy won't mind.' I encouraged her again with a slight tilt of my hands and she shuffled to the bank. Dipping a toe in, Wren gave me an uneasy look.

'It's cold.'

'You're tellin' me.' I grunted, the freezing water clinging to fabric of my trousers. Apprehensively, I watched her wade ankle deep in the water and pause. She could feel the silt rushing beneath her toes, sifting over her skin as the water kicked it up in a flurry. 'See? Not so bad right? Now, lie on your front and kick your legs up and down and do this with your arms.' I swung them in a cutting motion, displaying to her how to do a front-crawl. 'You gotta keep your head above the water though okay?'

'I'm scared.' She whined, starting to back up onto the bank again.

'Don't be scared! Just do it. Don't even think about it.' She shook her head, tilting her chin down. I could see her bottom lip was starting to wobble. 'Wren, look at daddy.' I caught her eye contact from the centre of the lake. 'I'm right here. I won't let anything happen okay?'

'O-okay.' She clenched her little fists and splashed down into the water, frantically kicking and copying the arm movements I'd shown her. It started out messy but soon she got into the rhythm.

'That's it! Keep goin'!' I cheered, standing strong against the gentle current. Wren pushed herself as hard as she could until she reached me. Gathering her tiny body into my arms, she spluttered against me. Her ginger hair clung to her pink cheeks as she huffed and puffed. 'You okay little one?' I asked, gently patting her back. Catching her breath, Wren looked up at me with a huge grin on her face.

'That was fun! Let's do it again!'

***

After swimming lessons, we lay out on the grass to dry off. The sun pulsated down onto our clothes to the point that you wouldn't have known we'd ever entered the water.

'I've got a surprise for ya.' I said to Wren as she clambered on top of my stomach.

'What is it?' She asked, sitting down heavily.

'Oof.' A gasp of air escaped my lungs at her sudden weight. 'Well, before I give it you ya, you have to promise not to tell mommy.'

'Why?'

'Because mommy doesn't think you should have one yet.' I sat upright, and slowly started to untangle her long locks of hair.

'Isn't that lying? Mommy says lying is bad.' Wren narrowed her eyes at me, baiting me for a response. She was way too clever for six years old.

'Well you don't have to have it if you don't want it.' I shrugged, smoothing my fingers over her small head. She scrunched her tiny features up for a second and then offered me her pinky finger.

'Pinky promise.' Wrapping my large one around it, I reached over my black jacket and pulled put a makeshift bow and arrow set from inside.

'Now, this is only for emergencies-'

'Woah!' Her grabby hands tore the wood from my grip as she inspected it. 'Can I kill stuff with it?' She asked, blue eyes ablaze with excitement. Jesus Christ she really was my daughter wasn't she?

'Only when you need to.' I warned, heaving her off of my lap and standing up. 'You want me to show ya how to shoot it?' Wren nodded excitedly. Taking an arrow, I showed her how to place it on the string and line up her shot onto a nearby tree trunk. 'Now, pull this arm back nice and tight.' Placing my palm in the crook of her elbow, I eased it back for her. 'And then when you're ready, let go.' Wren's brow creased in concentration, the tip of her tongue sticking out from her mouth. Finally she let the arrow go and it surged forward, just grazing the side of the tree.

'I missed.' She pouted, infuriated at herself for not getting it on the first go.

'Takes practice little red. C'mon, we better get back before your mom wonders where we are.' I offered her my hand but she darted off ahead in search of her missing arrow. Rolling my eyes, I traipsed after her. All the way home I had to frequently pause as she lined up a shot and tried to hit another tree. Every time she missed but it wouldn't deter her. In fact, it only spurred her on to keep trying. By the time we got back, it was almost nightfall.

'Where the hell have you two been?' Athena stood on the porch, hands resting on her hips. 'I damn near came out to find you both myself.' As we got closer, Wren rapidly shoved the bow and her fistful of arrows behind her back though it didn't really hide them from view too well.

'Daddy took me swimming!' Wren chimed, shuffling past her mother in an attempt to keep the weapon hidden from view.

'Oh did he now. And what's that behind your back?' Athena cocked an eyebrow, shooting me a death glare from the corner of her eye.

'Ummmm... daddy made me promise not to tell you.' She beamed, slipping into the house and running away. The slam of her bedroom door saw Athena whirl on me.

'A bow? Seriously Jacob? I thought we talked about this!'

'It's just to keep her safe.' I sauntered over to her and wrapped my hands around her arms. 'She probably won't even use it.'

'I just-' Athena slackened at my touch and wrapped her arms around my waist. Her head leaned into my chest, my chin balancing atop her head. 'I wish we lived in a world where she didn't need to learn this kind of stuff.'

'I know pup.' My calloused hand drifted over her now grey teased brunette hair. 'But she needs to be able to protect herself. We thought the world was ruthless before, this is a whole other ballgame.'

'You're right.' She breathed, pulling away from my embrace and offering me her hand. 'Come on, your dinner's getting cold.'