23 - Make It Better

I'd been stitching for so long I thought my eyes were going crossed. But it was finished and that was what mattered. Tilting the patch of fabric up to the fractured sunrise spotting through the glass, I smiled a little. Hopefully this would mend it all.

'Oh!' Bean jumped at the sight of me sitting at his desk, almost dropping the rolls of maps in his arms. 'I'm sorry Miss Wren! I didn't know you were in here!'

'It's okay. I was just finishing up.' I flashed him a grin and pocketed the gift for dad, getting up and darting out into the courtyard. As I walked across the grass, my attention was caught by Roger Cadoret, the pilot. He was dragging what looked like a very heavy box across the ground towards his helicopter. 'Need a hand?' I asked, sauntering over and pulling the box up at the other end.

'Ah very kind of you.' His thick French-Canadian accent accentuated every word as together we lifted the box into the hold. 'Strong arms. We could use someone like you on our expeditions.'

'Me? Oh no, I'm not that good of a fighter.' I bashfully rubbed at the back of my neck, dipping my face to the floor.

'Nonsense! You are only limiting yourself here. There's a big wide world out there to see y'know.' Roger tipped his aviators down and looked me straight in the eye. 'You ever want to come on one of my expeditions, you let me know.' He instructed and I pondered over his words. What could be out there?

'I will. Catch you later Roger.' I waved at him as I walked back towards the house. His words still wandered through my head as I made my way to dad's room. Maybe it was something to consider. I stopped outside the door to dad's room and paused. Time to make this right. Rapping my knuckles gently against the wooden frame, I turned the handle and poked my head in. Dad was sat up, his back pressed to the headboard and a finger pressed to his lips. He beckoned me over and it was only then that I saw mom snuggled into his stomach, her face set in a pristine state as she snoozed.

'What's up?' Dad asked quietly, patting the spot beside him. I approached nervously, perching on the edge of the mattress and sucking at the inside of my lip. My fingertips fiddled with the present in my pocket, running over the bumpy stitched fabric.

'I, uh, I made you something.' Presenting the circular patch, I placed it in his palm. 'It's a patch for your jacket. To go with the other ones you have on there.' I could feel my cheeks flushing a pink colour, a little embarrassed at my gift. But in the middle of the apocalypse what exactly do you get your father to say that you're sorry?

'Are those wolves?' Dad asked, blinking a few times as he stared at it. Did he like it? Probably not. He seemed confused more than anything.

'Uh yeah. Mom told me once that you liked them or something... Anyway that big red one at the top is meant to be you and then the brown one lying down is mom and that sorta russet smaller one is me.' I pointed at each of the carefully stitched animals. 'Cause we're like a pack, like a unit. I dunno, I tried to-'

'It's great Wren.' He said softly, turning it in his hand and then placing it on the bedside table. 'I'll get your mom to sew it onto my jacket when she's up.'

'Yeah sure cool, cool.' Pinching my eyes closed, I screwed up my face and could feel him looking at me expectantly. 'I'm so sorry dad.'

'Oh so I'm reinstated now am I?' He raised an eyebrow and I wasn't sure if he was joking or being serious.

'Um well-'

'I'm fuckin' with you kid. C'mere.' Dad pulled me in for a one armed hug as his other was still trapped under mom's sleeping frame. 'It's alright. Think we both learnt a couple of things.'

'So we're okay?' I mumbled, resting my head against his shoulder.

'Yeah kid. We're okay.' He rubbed his calloused palm on the back of my shirt. It felt like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders as he held me close. Eventually pulling away, I flashed my biggest smile at him.

'Did I tell you I took down this monstrous bear when I was at New Eden?'

'Psh. I'll believe it when I see it.' He sniffed, pushing me on the shoulder gently.

'I did! It was gigantic and-' Suddenly my attention was drawn to the underwear strewn across the floor. My eyes darted to dad and then to mom and I leapt off the bed. 'Oh man! Dad, c'mon! You let me sit on the mattress and everything?!' I dusted myself off frantically, miming gagging as dad chuckled. 'I better not end up with a little brother or sister after this.'

'Think our biological clocks are a bit past it for that little red.' He tugged at the sheet as mom started to stir.

'What is going on?' She mumbled, rolling over and burying her face into the pillow. Her brown hair hid her expression from view but I knew her eyes would be bleary and her cheeks puffy.

'Dad's being disgusting!'

'Your dad is always disgusting.' Mom grumbled, lifting the pillow up and shoving her head underneath it. She was not a morning person.

'Bit unnecessary.' He chided, slumping back down into bed and placing his palms beneath his head.

'Okay well I'm gonna go and let you two carry on with, uh... whatever it is you like to do in the bedroom that I definitely do not want to know anything more about.' Backing up to the doorway, I garbled my words and quickly scarpered. Despite my escape, it felt good that things were back on track.

***

The rest of my day was spent messing around with Carmina, trying to develop a plan on catching that damned stag that we were still after.

'What if we build like a stun gun?' I suggested, swinging my legs off the rafters of Prosperity as I sucked on one of Uncle Nick's homemade ice popsicles.

'How the hell do we do that?' Carmina asked, licking at the stream of sticky red ice that was oozing down her arm.

'Dunno. Batteries?'

'They aren't exactly easy to come by.' She sighed, her legs drifting in time with mine.

'What if we borrowed Timber and got him to herd it into a trap?' Sticking the lolly into my mouth I savoured its sweet, cool flavour washing over my tastebuds.

'As if Silver would let us borrow Timber, he loves that dog more than life itself!' We both laughed only to pause at the sight of the breathless looking Captain rushing towards the gates.

'Speak of the devil!' I yelled and we waved down to him eagerly. Silver looked around for the source of the voice, perplexed as to where it was coming from.

'Up here!' Carmina called and the young man squinted up at us.

'Carmina! Where's your mom? I've been trying to radio her!' His light grey hair eased in the breeze, ponytail drifting behind him.

'She's inside, we've been having some interference over the comms. What's up?'

'The twins. They've gone to New Eden. Ethan betrayed Joseph. Just come inside. I'll explain it all.' He huffed, pushing his way through the gates and leaving us in suspense. Dropping our lollies on the ground, we got up and sprinted towards the main house. This was not good.