chapter nine

We stepped out of the elevator hesitantly.

"Is this the same fucking guy from last night Kayla?" He wasn't even yelling, his voice was too soft.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" He grew louder.

Mitchel stepped in front of me but didn't say anything.

"Jake just get out of here, don't do this, don't make this worse." I wished more than anything that he'd leave, but something in me knew that wouldn't happen.

"I've been so fucking worried about you," no he wasn't. "You weren't answering my texts I had to come make sure you were okay." I stayed silent.

"Only to find out you've been out with this son of a bitch again." Mitchel didn't say anything and I quietly thanked him for not escalating the situation.

"and now," he laughed menacingly. "Now you're hiding behind him like you're scared of me or something." I was scared, he knew I was scared. I wasn't going to cry. I wanted this to go away, I didn't want to make things worse.

"Jake please just go we're not together anymore." I was so scared, I was practically trembling in place.

"How many times do I have to fucking tell you? No one is ever gonna want you Kayla, you're always gonna be stuck with me. No matter what you think you're doing with this guy, he will inevitably leave you alone and you'll come crawling back." My heart broke, his words hurt. They always did.

Mitchel spoke, "you should really go." I looked at Mitchel's face and his eyes were dark, his jaw clenched, knuckles white. It was a completely different look, I was so used to the big goofy smile.

Jake laughed, somehow not scared at all of the way Mitchel looked right now.

"Look, I know you're just trying to get in her pants. And I'm sure she was about to let you but you should really be the one leaving. You don't know shit about me and Kayla so you have no right to talk to me like that."

Mitchel used his arm to push me further behind him. "I may not know much about you and Kayla but I know enough to tell you to leave right now and to tell you that you will never lay a hand on her again."

I could barely even process what Mitchel was saying.

I was scared for him. But in a way, I felt like this side of Mitchel was perfectly capable of handling himself. It almost made me scared for Jake.

Jake reached around Mitchel to grab my arm, and faster than I could react, Mitchel swung and punched Jake directly in the jaw. Jake's response was instant. He practically jumped on Mitchel, tackling him to the floor, swinging and punching him repeatedly. Mitchel was able to fight off Jake and avoid most of the punches but I knew Jake was strong so any hit he took would hurt.

Before even realizing what I was doing, I was screaming, beating on Jake's back.

"Jake please stop," I was practically sobbing.

Jake turned around at the sound of my voice, and got up off of Mitchel.

I back up as fast as I could but when Jake reached his arm up and grabbed me by the hair, I felt entirely helpless.

"You fucking bitch," he spat in my face. I scratched and grabbed at his arm but it was no use.

Behind Jake, Mitchel got up and lunged again, this time finding himself on top of Jake.

Mitchel was no doubt smaller than Jake but was holding his own really well.

"Mitchel, please stop fighting. Please"