chapter eighteen

The day went by insanely fast and before I knew it the show was over.

"Nice show, babe!" I complimented, a smile already on his face. "Thank you," he placed a chaste kiss on my lips. "Is there anything you wanna do tonight?" I asked. "Not really, how about an earlier night tonight so that on our day off we won't be exhausted?" I nodded, I was exhausted, I wouldn't let him know that though.

I hadn't really gotten a solid, good nights sleep since I joined them and I don't know how Mitchel does it. "That sounds perfect," he smiled in response and nodded his head.

"I've got to go help pack up for a bit, you'll be okay?" He looked over at me, almost checking to make sure I answered truthfully. "Of course Mitchel, go help. I'll go outside for a while, I could use some air." He dropped my hand and nodded, "okay, I won't be long. I'll probably see you if you're going to be outside, we're loading the bus." He bent down and kissed my cheek before going to help with equipment.

I went outside and put my airpods in, hitting shuffle on a playlist and aimlessly scrolling through social media. Of course my timeline and notifications were just full of Mitchel and Chase Atlantic, but I didn't mind.

Christian walked over to me and I took out on of my earbuds, putting it in its case. "Hey, Kayla, I'm gonna go meet some fans if you wanna walk over with me." I nodded, "yeah, sure." We walked around to the front of the venue where there were quite a few fans, there weren't barricades or anything between us and them so they practically swarmed Christian. He made sure he kept an eye on me though and they sort of made a bubble around us.

"Hey, how are you all tonight?" Christian started talking to them and I looked around to see huge smiles on all of their faces. It was honestly so sweet of him to take time out of his night to make their days and come hang out with them. Christian sparked up a conversation with the one of the girls and I just sort of listened in, zoning out slightly.

A girl behind me spoke to me, "hey, Kayla?" I turned to face her, "hey." I tried to seem cool and confident but talking to their fans made me incredibly nervous. I didn't want to say the wrong thing or seem rude in any way. "You and Mitchel are together, right?" I nodded, "yeah we are."

I didn't know where she was going with this. "We just thought you should know that a lot of fans, including us, think you're bad for him." What the hell am I supposed to say to that. "Oh?" I really didn't care what she thought about us but I didn't want to be rude.

"We think he deserves someone better, and we know you won't ever be enough for him." I was silent, completely frozen. "I don't know what goes on behind the scenes but he looks pretty miserable with you."

Ouch.

He looked miserable? How would they even know? "He's way out of your league and he's way too good for you. We know you're just a band slut who's slept with too many guys, and when Mitchel got feelings for you, you decided you'd milk it for all it was worth." I should say something.

Another fan interjected, "hey, you need to shut the fuck up." The other girl just scoffed, ignoring her and continuing on. "But guess what? Whenever you two break up, which will inevitably happen, we'll still be here for him and you'll be nothing but another girl Mitchel dated for a while." Fuck, this shouldn't hurt as bad as it did.

Why the hell have I not said anything, what do I even say?

I felt so incredibly overwhelmed and wanted to cry right now. "Christian," someone standing next to the girl called his name, it wasn't me. He snapped his head over, "yeah?" I was still frozen, trying to focus on not crying. God, this was pathetic.

Why didn't I prepare myself more for this? Her words were replaying in my mind and fuck, they cut deep. "I think you need to make her leave." The fan pointed at the girl who had said those things to me. "Why? What happened?" Christian must've noticed me because he came over and put a hand on my back comfortingly. "She was saying some pretty awful things to Kayla," Christian looked down and met my eyes like he was asking me what happened. I shook my head, "no, it's fine."

The fan was suddenly quiet, as if she'd ever say what she said to me in front of Christian. "What'd she say?" Christian looked at me, and then over the fan who had been explaining it. "Really fucked up shit about her and Mitchel," I turned towards him and sort of used him as a shield so I could wipe my eyes and prevent breaking down in front of everyone here.

This is genuinely the worst possible situation. Christian looked down at me as I practically hid, staring directly at his chest. The girl continued explaining what the other one had said to me. Like I wanted to hear it again, fuck. Christian wrapped an arm around my shoulder, rubbing it in an attempt to comfort me. "I didn't say that," the other fan finally spoke up.

What the fuck? She straight up insulted me to my face and now has the audacity to go back on it. I rolled my eyes and the other fans around us all spoke up, saying that she did, in fact, say all of that shit.

"Okay, well we're going to go." Christian spoke blandly. "I'm sorry to you guys who were respectful and sweet but she shouldn't have to put up with that bullshit. She doesn't deserve it." Fuck, he's literally the best. I tried my best to smile up at him.

"I don't think we're going to be coming out later, you shouldn't wait around." I had never heard him be anything but happy and bubbly, it was such a drastic change. We walked away, back toward the bus. "I'm so sorry Kayla, I had no idea anyone would talk to you like that. I thought they had more respect than that." I shook my head, "It's not your fault Christian it's fine." He still looked upset, "did she really say all of that to you?" I nodded, "Yeah." He seemed disappointed. "That's so fucked up Kayla, I'm so sorry you had to hear that, oh my god."

"It's okay Christian, I promise I'm fine." I smiled at him reassuringly. "It's really not okay," he looked at the floor as we got to the bus.

"Hey baby!" Mitchel excitedly came over but his face dropped when he realized I was upset. "What's wrong?" Christian began to explain what happened, and Mitchel grabbed my hand, rubbing circles with his thumb. "It was really bad Mitchel," Christian finished, talking in a low voice.

Mitchel turned to me, and just pulled me into his chest. I hated that they were treating me like I was a hurt child right now but I knew it was reasonable. "Its okay, I'm really fine." Mitchel just continued to hold me close to him. "You know none of that's true right?" I nodded against him, "yeah."

He reassured me but it was like every doubt Ive ever had about Mitchel, she said. It just terrified me, to hear someone else say it out loud. I know I don't deserve him but I really do love him so much, and I appreciate him so much.

Her words hurt so bad, I wish they had bounced off of me I'm just too insecure. He released me and I just stood, not knowing exactly what to say. Christian gave me a quick hug, "I'll see you guys later. Try not to let it get to you, okay?" He looked down at me, and I just nodded. "Okay, thank you Christian." He smiled softly before walking away.

Mitchel gave me a look, "are you actually okay?" I nodded my head and attempted to smile. "You don't look okay." He knew me too well I swear. "I am, it still hurts though." I sound pathetic. "I'm so sorry, I'm so sick that someone would say that to you." I smiled over at him, really trying to prove I was okay. It caught me off guard more than anything.

"It's okay Mitchel, there's nothing you could've done about it anyway. I just have to get used to the fact that there's always gonna be someone talking shit." He shook his head, "it shouldn't be like that though, I really am sorry."

"Mitchel, it's okay. I just have something they want," I smiled and draped my arms over his shoulders. "Me?" I laughed lightly, "Yeah, you." I leaned in and kissed him softly. "I would take them saying that and a million times worse to be with you. You make it worth it, nothing they could say to me would affect that." He leaned down and kissed me again, his hand caressing my cheek.

"Fuck what everyone else thinks," he scrunched up his nose slightly and my stomach leaped. He's so cute what the hell. "I don't really want to get back on the bus yet, I kind of hate it." He nodded, "that's fine but remember we're leaving earlier than usual tonight so we can get to Atlanta. The earlier we get to Atlanta, the early we get a hotel and can sleep in a bed."