Chapter 6 - Why Don't you Say No?

After I finally finished cleaning up the park, which took me until midnight, I finally started the journey home. I didn't have a car so it was either a 20 minute bus ride to my shared apartment or a 10 minute walk.

Now I know what your thinking, 'It should take longer to walk', yeah well the bus driver likes to stop at least every 30 seconds so I walk every now and again. Depends what mood I am in.

I turn down the street my apartments on and sigh in relief. I love going home to my nice warm bed, food and sleep. My three favourite things.

When I finally reach my apartment, I fish my cold silver keys out and unlock the door. When I walked in, I noticed that all the lights are off except one and there was someone sitting under it. Cleo

Cleo has been my friend since highschool freshman year. We bumped into each other and mixed up our books that we dropped, leading us to meet again. Ever since then, we have been best friends. How ever she can act like my mother at times.

"Where have you been?" She asked looking up from her favourite mug she was holding.

"I was cleaning the park again. I had to." I reply placing my keys on the key hanger.

"Were you asked to? Were you being paid to do that Ally?" She asked again.

"No. Mr Rogers left in a hurry so it was only me."

"Ally" She said standing up.

"Why do you always do it? Why don't you say no? Working late isn't good for you Ally. You don't have a car which means you have to walk or take the bus home. Do you how dangerous it is at night? You could get hurt." Cleo said walking over to me.

Standing in front of Cleo I can see the bags under her eyes. Her eyes themselves were full of worry. Worry for me. She really was the mother I never had. She looked tired. Tired of staying up late every night waiting for me to come home safe.

Cleo had lost her sister. A twin sister. She was kidnapped one night and never found. Since then. Both her parents committed suicide and she was left alone. Eventually she couldn't pay enough money to keep her house and she was kicked out. I found out during junior year and ever since then we have shared an apartment.

"I'm so sorry Cleo. I swear, I'll start to pack up before the sun goes down and leave before it gets dark. I'm sorry Cleo." I say giving her a hug to which she gladly returned.

We talked for another half hour before we decided to get some sleep. Sleep. My favourite thing, other than food and my bed. Who doesn't love Those things? I quickly changed my clothes and put the in the hamper before jumping on my bed, falling asleep almost instantly.

***

When I woke up from a restless sleep, I realised that I was going to run late. Damn nightmares. I ran around my bedroom and bathroom like a maniac, rushing to not be late. I can't be late, I will not risk my job.

Once I was full dressed I ran to the kitchen to see Cleo with a smirk on her face and a chai tea in her hand. God bless her.

"Thank you so much Cleo, I owe you one." I say grabbing the chai and running for the door with my keys and bag.

"You can make it up to me by being home before dark." Cleo shouted as I ran out the door. Sorry Cleo, but this chicken is running late, and has multiple roads to cross.

Arriving just on time after almost being run over six times is a work out in itself. Constantly crossing roads and having to apologise for forgetting to use the crossing while running is harder than a triathlon.