001, cold as ice

FROZEN HEART ━━ 001

( COLD AS ICE )

          SHE SIGHED IN FRUSTRATION as she got it wrong for what had seemed to be the twenty-eighth time. She was starting to lose count of the amount of times she was told to try again and focus but each failed attempt just made her more frustrated with herself.

          "That was way better than the last twenty-seven times you tried it," the older brunette said, hoping to ease the young blonde's mind.

          "Easy for you to say, you don't have ice magic," the young blonde said as she sat down on the cushioned chair in the room.

          "Which is exactly why I shouldn't be the one to teach you control which is also why I'm trying to find out where your mother is," the brunette said while crossing her arms.

          Ellie sighed. "She said she had some errands to run."

          "Okay, so why wasn't I told about this?"

          "You were," Ellie while squinting her eyes.

          "When?" Anna asked.

          "This morning when she talked to both of us and told us she was going to be busy but you of course, were too busy sleeping to listen," Ellie said while lightly shrugging her shoulders.

          "In my defence, if I'm sleeping, that means I won't catch anything you tell me," Ellie's aunt said.

          "Well it was either then or never and she chose then. And just because you didn't catch it, doesn't mean she didn't tell you at all," Ellie said as she stood up and grabbed the open book she was reading.

          "You guys both know I'm not a morning person!"

          Ellie chuckled. "Are you sure you're my aunt and not my childish older sister?"

          "Who are you calling childish?"

          "To be quite fair, Anna," Ellie and Anna turned around and saw the older blonde woman standing in the doorframe. "She made about four valid points there."

          "What is this, Gang Up on Anna Day or something?" the brunette asked. The two blondes laughed at the way Anna's face looked when she crossed her arms and pouted. "I'm gonna go find Kristoff."

          When her aunt was no longer in the room, Ellie looked at her mother who was looking right back at her. Ellie sighed as she tried the trick again but once again. it didn't work the way it was supposed to. Instead of a few small snowflakes hovering above the palms of her hands, frost covered the skin of her fingertips.

          "I can't do it," she said while shaking her head and grabbing her gloves.

          "Don't say that. It took me years to face my fears and learn how to control my magic," Elsa said as she picked up the book Ellie was holding. "That's why I want you to learn control as best as you can as soon as you can. I don't want you to make the same mistakes I did."

          Ellie nodded but avoided eye contact as she kept her hands folded together. Elsa smiled as she pulled her up and led her into her room where the walls were bare and the only thing inside was the bed frame. Ellie's luggage stood by the bed that was stripped off all the bed sheets and pillows.

          "Do I have to go? Everyone there knows about my magic and that I don't have a hundred percent control over it," Ellie said.

          "That's why you need to bring this book with you and keep it safe at all times. If you ever need to talk, just call me or your aunt and we'll try to help as best as we can," Elsa said. The both of them heard loud honking outside and when Ellie looked to see what it was, the car that was supposed to take her to Auradon Prep was right outside.

          "What if I just can't do it?"

          "If you are anything like me at all, you won't give up without a fight."

          Ellie nodded as she grabbed her suitcase and her backpack as both her and her mother walked out of the room and closed the door behind them. Anna and Kristoff were already right outside the door and Ellie sighed when she saw how excited the were, especially Anna.

          "Time to go, kiddo," the tall blonde said while ruffling Ellie's hair and chuckled when she groaned and smacked his hand away.

          "My little niece is growing up!" Anna said as she wrapped her arms around the young blonde and squeezed her rather tightly.

          "Auntie Anna, I can't breathe," Ellie practically choked and took a deep breath when she was released.

          "Call us if you ever need anything. I mean it," the brunette said sternly.

          Ellie looked at her mother who only smiled kindly while gently holding her hands.

          "You'll get it one day," she said and Ellie nodded, deciding that it would be easier to take her mother's word for it. "Keep in touch."

          "I will. I love you guys," Ellie said as she gave all three of them a hug and pulled her luggage to the car.

          The man put her luggage in the trunk and she carried her backpack into the backseat with her. The man got in the driver seat and started heading to the school Ellie was going to be attending along with the children of other princesses, princes and heroes. She waved at her family as they got farther and farther away and pretty soon, she couldn't see them anymore. For the first time in her life, she wasn't going to have her family with her and she had to get used to being alone and doing things by herself. That included getting her magic under control.

author's note
just to clarify, this is where
ellie was first going to
auradon prep and not fully
okay with the idea of being on
her own. the next chapter
will be what life has been
for her after adjusting and
not long before the core
four get to auradon prep.