Chapter 3

Dear Ticker Tinkerer,

I'm stuck. I don't know how else to put it. I am stuck. In my career, love life, and even family life—I am flat out stuck. I feel like I haven't done anything notable in years, but when I think about striving to achieve something, I feel no motivation whatsoever. Everything seems so meh, for lack of a better word.

I'm not even middle-aged yet, and I think it's far too early to feel so listless.

Am I doomed to be stuck? Am I missing something? Is there a support group I forgot to sign up for? I'm thinking about quitting my job, solely because my work of late has been less than exceptional and will eventually get me fired, I'm sure, but I don't want to do that. I love my job—or, I did, anyway.

I just don't know what's wrong with me.

Send advice (or help),

Stuck-in-the-mud

***

Dear Stuck-in-the-mud (not crazy about the name, by the way, because I don't think it fits you),

This feeling of listlessness is, alas, totally and entirely normal, though not for an extended period of time (if it has been a long time, you ought to see a psychologist or doctor—preferably both—to make sure nothing else is going on here).

I think you'll find that the little things go a long way in combatting an immense feeling of listlessness (or "meh," as you so aptly termed it).

First, look around your home. Can you brighten it? Open a window, let in some natural light, and maybe buy some of your favorite flowers.

Get a coloring book filled with designs or drawings that you love and focus on bringing that art to life through colored pencils (or your favorite coloring utensil).

Have you had a lot on your to-do list recently? Complete one of those tasks, even if it's just the easiest one.

When was the last time you went for a walk and just turned your mind off for a bit? Step outside, breathe in the fresh air, and remember the little things that make you happy.

Have you seen your friends recently? If they're always up for a get-together (even a low-key one), then maybe invite some of them over and hang out for a while; enjoy their company and remind yourself of how nice it is to laugh and be carefree for a minute.

How long has it been since you've pampered yourself? If you're financially able, treat yourself to a new [insert something you've always wanted here] or a spa day. You can even buy yourself a book you've been wanting and take the weekend to read it.

As for work, I'm no expert, but I wouldn't advise quitting your job like this. If you love the job—and I mean really love it—then would you be happy quitting? Instead, maybe try taking some time off, that way you can think about your decision away from work.

Now, the most important thing: Don't be afraid to tell someone what's going on. Whether it's a significant other, good friend, relative, or a therapist, it might help to explain your feelings to someone else, that way you're not wrapped up inside the struggle alone.