Chapter 4

"Why can't your sexy driver just come get us?" Addy asked the next morning as Helen led her out of their apartment building and onto the bustling sidewalk.

Helen snorted. "It is a lovely day, and I told him I wouldn't need a ride; I like to walk, and I think you will too."

"I think I'd be better off bribing the mechanic to fix my car ASAP," Addy grumbled, yelping when Helen swatted at her arm.

"Your workplace is closer than mine," she reminded her best friend. "It's just over a mile from here, which is not that far."

Addy just blew out a dramatic sigh, and Helen shook her head with amusement. She'd found out after getting back to the apartment the previous night that Addy's car wouldn't start, and the girl had gotten a drive home from a coworker but would have to wait at least until the late afternoon before the mechanic got a chance to look at her vehicle.

It didn't affect Helen, of course, since she either walked or had Pat take her to work, but Addy hadn't walked to work in years. Thankfully, their workplaces weren't that far apart, so they would walk together for most of their trek. 

With the closeness of their jobs, Helen knew her coworkers (and Patterson too) would wonder why she didn't just have Addy drive her into work when the other woman's car was functioning.

There was, of course, a reason for Helen's avoidance of carpooling with her roommate.

She loved Addison to bits—she would do anything for her best friend, and she knew the sentiment was returned wholeheartedly.

But she would not get into a car with the woman.

Addy, for all of her wonderful qualities that Helen was ever-grateful for, drove like she was either trying out for a spot on a NASCAR team, or a soccer mom running late to her son's first game.

Neither example lent itself to Helen's personal comfort or mental health, so—since the single time that she had attempted to ride with Addy that admittedly did not end well—she refused to go anywhere with the other woman if it meant they had to be in a car.

"I still don't see why you can't just call him. Surely he'll come get you the moment you tell him something's wrong."

Helen tossed Addy a blank stare. "Nothing's wrong, though. We're getting some exercise and enjoying the stunning weather."

"And I'd enjoy some stunning man along with my weather."

"I don't mean to get nitpicky or anything," Helen began, sending her friend a sideways, I am not amused look, "but you have a boyfriend and you've only ever seen a profile picture of my driver." She didn't dwell on the funny flip-flopping in her gut when she said the words "my driver," because that could only lead to disaster.

"A very nice picture," Addy retorted easily, ducking between a group of businessmen who looked less than pleased with the early hour and busy sidewalk. "He is one hunky specimen—even you have to admit that."

Okay, yes, Helen certainly did admit that Patterson wasn't unattractive in the slightest, but she didn't want to fuel Addy's let's-get-you-a-boyfriend-like-yesterday mission, so she kept quiet.

"Does Isaiah know you look at other men?" She asked instead, her tone smug.

Addy scoffed. "You and I both know the only reason I'm talking about your driver is because I'm trying to set you up with him." It was true, unfortunately. Addy adored Isaiah (and vice versa), and never spoke about guys unless she was teasing Helen.

"Addy," her voice was firm as she stopped walking and turned to face her roommate. "Please drop it. Honestly, it'll never happen, and I don't—"

"Well, look who it is!"