Chapter 23

Dear Bewildered Ex-Best Friend,

First, know that it doesn't matter how many times you reach out to me—I always try to answer every message, regardless of who sent it and if they've written in before. Consider me like your anonymous best friend; I'm always willing to lend an ear and provide as much help as I can.

Now, as for your ex-best friend . . . Wow, what a story. I'm sorry to hear about your high school experiences; facing humiliation is never fun, and it comes with a nice layer of betrayal when delivered by someone we once thought we could trust. That said, I can't say I'm surprised that your friend reached out to you, specifically.

Chances are, she trusted you implicitly before and even during high school, and never stopped caring, but rather made some (as you put it) "stupid decisions," and got too deep. For all we know, she woke up one morning in high school and asked herself, "Why am I doing this to someone I care about?" But, upon searching for a way out of the situation, realized she didn't even know where to start, and decided not to try at all.

Not the best decision, perhaps, but the adage of "everyone makes mistakes" is painfully true.

Moving on, let's look at those questions of yours.

1) As mentioned above, I think she's reaching out to you because at one point, you were her close friend and she trusted you with everything. Moreover, she probably has thought of you. As sad as it sounds, she may not have others she can trust, and—if she regrets the way she treated you, as I suspect she does—she's probably thought of you often.

2) As for how you should respond . . . that, Ex-Best Friend, is up to you. What does your heart or gut tell you? Do you feel as though you have the emotional resources to be there for her? Would you like a promise from her that she won't turn her back on you again? Ask yourself questions like these, and don't feel bad if the answer is "I can't." Being present as a "support" is difficult, and there is no shame in telling someone that you're not in the present state of mind to do so.

Also, I think there's a lot you can offer her (only if you're able and willing, of course). A listening ear, a kind smile, a word of encouragement—things like that seem simple, but go a long way, especially in times of trouble.

I'm sorry I can't give you a straight answer, but this one's up to you.

Good luck, and I hope all goes well!

XO,

The Ticker Tinkerer

Helen set her laptop down on the coffee table, groaning when her back proved to be stiff from lack of movement. Standing from the couch, she wiggled her sock-clad toes as best she could and stretched her arms above her head, holding the position for several beats before dropping her hands back to her sides.

A cursory glance of Pat's living room, lit by the dying light of the sun and warmed by the flickering flames of the fire in the hearth, made her smile. Her brand-new coat (that Pat bought for her that very day) was hanging on the back of one of the two lounge chairs, and a stack of now-wrapped baby presents were tucked in the far corner.

What really caught Helen's attention, however, was the sight of Ginger and Gilligan, curled around one another in one of Gilligan's square-shaped beds.