Chapter 11

Things, as it turned out, did continue to go well.

It had been nearly two weeks since Ginger became part of Helen's life, and the tabby turned out to be a perfect companion. Ginger became very attached to Helen and followed the woman around whenever she was at home, before curling up against Helen's side to sleep every night.

On Helen's end, she no longer wondered why Pat loved Gilligan so much. It was truly amazing, the difference an animal companion could make. Her sleep and work schedule were almost healthy, between needing to care for Ginger and Pat's insistence on eating late dinners together whenever possible.

The thought of her boyfriend caused another smile to form on her lips.

They'd only been dating for two weeks, of course, but Helen felt relatively confident that she would never enjoy another man as much as she enjoyed Pat. He was kind, patient, and always ready with a smile and lighthearted comment to cheer her up on stressful days.

Yes, things were going very well.

So well, in fact, that Helen supposed she shouldn't have been surprised when something occurred that brought her back to reality.

She stared at Addy with wide eyes, trying in vain to swallow the sudden knot that had formed in her throat.

"Oh," was all she could say.

Addy, settled across their small kitchen table and wearing a nervous smile, nodded stiltedly. "Yeah. If it's a problem, we can move it back further, but I was thinking that—"

"Hey," she licked her lips, screamed for herself to suck it up, damnit! and then reached across the table to take Addy's hand in her own. "This is good. I told you that, didn't I? This is good." She was pleased when her voice was steady, even as she held back tears.

Addy, ever in tune with Helen's emotions, blew out a sigh. "Nell, you don't have to lie to me. I know this is scary and not something you—and even I—are looking forward to."

"Maybe not," Helen tried again, shifting in her chair and dragging her fingers over her jean-clad thighs, "but we both knew it would happen eventually. And, um," she floundered for a moment, "we'll still be close. Right?"

Addy practically leapt across the table with her immediate shout of, "Of course we will be! Don't spout nonsense, Nell; you and I will always be close, make no mistake. Even so," she grew subdued once more, "I just . . . I want you to be okay. Will you be okay? Truly?"

No, was her first thought, but it was quickly followed by, not yet, anyway.

But, with Ginger and Pat and the promise of Addy's continued friendship . . .? Well, she would (eventually) be just fine.

"I'll be okay," she confirmed, hoping her smile didn't look too brittle. "Truly. It'll be hard at first, but . . ." she shook her head of the "what-ifs"—the thoughts of losing Addy forever and waking up with no one to call—and cleared her throat. "But I'll be fine. Are you excited? You should be—I'm really happy for you." And she was; there was no anger or sarcasm tinting her voice, only genuine happiness.

Seeming to realize that Helen was trying to change the subject, Addy cracked an excited grin. "Yeah, I'm pretty pumped. He's the love of my life, but you already knew that; I'm glad we're taking this next step, and I think the timing is perfect—any sooner, and I might not have already learned all his ridiculous quirks."

Helen couldn't stop a laugh from escaping as she recalled some of the stories Addy had told her about Isaiah. "Does he still wear—"

"A pair of socks decorated with exactly five holes on each one? Why yes, yes he does. And—before you ask—yes, he remains adamant that those socks are the only reason he produces decent programs."