Chapter 28

"Okay," Addy began an hour or so later, shuffling documents back into their designated folder, "is that everything?"

Helen let her fingers dance across a nearby newspaper clipping and blew out a heavy breath. "Yeah, it's all copied." They'd made two copies of everything—one for Helen and Addy, and another for Thomason. "Now we just have to bring it to the police station."

And that was the next issue. "It's across town," Helen continued, knowing Addy was aware.

Sure enough, her best friend looked up from the kitchen table's surface with a conflicted frown. "I know; I can drop it all off and then come back and catch you up?" That, at this point, was the only option. It had started raining a short while ago, and the walk itself would take an hour or two—no one needed to be out in the cold, wet weather for that long.

"Or, um," Helen shifted in her seat, clearing her throat before trying again. "Uh, you could drive, and I could go with you."

Addy's stared at her blankly for several beats, before her mind registered Helen's words and her eyes widened considerably. "Nell, are you sure? We haven't tried since . . ." since it had ended with Helen practically throwing herself out of the car and vomiting onto the street.

"I'm not totally sure," Helen admitted, fiddling with her fingernails in her lap, "but I'd like to try, if you'd let me."

"Of course I'll let you!" Addy blurted, grimacing when she realized her volume. "Sorry, but yes, I'd love to try again." Helen was touched by the woman's eagerness—she'd always known that Addy had wanted Helen to ride with her, and she was also aware of the woman's guilt when it hadn't worked out.

"I'm sorry," she'd apologized once Helen was settled on the curb and her trembling had stopped, "I should've gone slower."

"Great," Helen had a feeling her smile looked more like a grimace, but she still tried nonetheless. "Just . . . try not to go too fast, please?"

Addy nodded fervently. "Absolutely—anything you want. Are you ready now?"

I don't think I'll ever be ready, Helen mused mentally, but I might as well give it a shot.

Gulping audibly, Helen stood on shaky legs, wiping her suddenly-sweaty palms on her jeans and watching as Addy gathered up the folders intended for the police and Thomason.

"Alright," Addy announced once she'd slung her purse over her shoulder as well, "let's hit it." Seeming to realize what she'd said, she paused and shot Helen and apologetic look. "Poor word choice," she amended when she saw Helen's wide, scared eyes. "We won't hit anything, I promise. Let's head out."

Better, I guess.

Following numbly as the other woman led them out of Pat's house, Helen locked the front door with stiff fingers, then turned to find Addy standing by the driver's side of her navy-blue sedan. It had been a gift from Isaiah several years ago, and was admittedly a very nice car, but it wasn't Pat's SUV.

Helen's breaths turned choppy as she approached the passenger side, her knees nearly buckling several times before she came to a stop, her hand hovering over the handle.

What had Anderson told her?

"Think, realistically, about what will happen, and ask yourself some questions. First: Are you with someone you trust?"

This was Addy, so yes. Cecily would never be replaced, but Addy was still a sister to Helen, and she thanked God every day for giving her someone so wonderful as a best friend.

"Second: Would that person ever put you in danger willingly?"

No. Addy had always ensured Helen's safety; even though Helen had never been able to drive with the woman, there were many times in which Addy would walk with Helen, just to make sure Helen got to her location safely.