Chapter 4

Midnight struck with Lindo still awake. He was trying to study but, the events of today prevented him from concentrating properly. Tive was asleep and his father was at work. He then decided to go to the grocery store next to a petrol station to buy some midnight snacks to munch on.

The store was just one block away from the hous, e but the cold dark night made the trip look longer.  As Lindo stepped outside he felt his bones freeze, he could even see his breath leave his body. "Why is winter not ending yet?" He said as he rubbed his hands together.

The night was quiet with an occasional car passing by.  When he got to the street corner, he saw a man with strange clothes crossing the road.  As Lindo followed slowly behind he noticed scorch marks on the pavement. "Wait this is... a foot print." Lindo said as he looked at where the tracks led to.  When his eyes landed at the strange man he noticed small flames erupt everytime he took a step. "Who is he?" Lindo asked as he began to follow him. "I'll get in trouble for this but, I have to make sure that this guy is not dangerous."

Lindo checked his watch and saw that it was a quarter past twelve. He knew that his father will return at a one o' clock from the council meeting so he had to be quick.

The man walked from the residential area to the CBD and he did not look tired. "Little boy if you know what's good for you go home." The man said as he stopped in front of the mall entrance.

"I saw flames erupt from your boot and I thought... you know." Lindo replied. The man simply laughed at him while turning slowly.

"And what... you thought I was a hero or something?" He asked as he folded his arms. "If so then you are mistaken, very mistaken. In fact I'm not a hero. I'm just a person who hates heroes."

These words shocked Lindo to the core. He began to wonder if villains all thought the same way. "Why do you hate heroes? What drove you to that?"

"Kid you remind me of me back in the day, but after that incident I began to view life differently." His face had become more serious as he continued talking. "I lost control of my ability once and my beloved parents died. Everyone just came to see the flames and no one took initiative to try call for help. All they did was tweet about it and hoped that heroes would arrive. I on the other hand hoped for a hero to come and do something but, all I got was nothing. The people I believed in were busy with missions that gave them exposures. To them my family were not worth the save and after seeing that I began to hate them." The man turned his eyes from the sky to face Lindo.

"I'm sure you went through a similar trauma it's just that you are too ignorent for your own good."  At that moment the man turned into red flames and retreated into the sewers. He left scorch marks behind on the pavement.

Lindo thought hard about what the man said as he ran home.