Chapter 6

I nearly snarl at the sound of Bren's boots slamming against the surface of the ground as he runs to me. The last thing we need is a distraction to interrupt the smooth process of the Grounding bond. If the two powers realize they're being interfered with by another, they might lose all sense of control once I remove the titanium band from Renit's wrist.

Bren can't leave anything alone.

"Are you all right?" He asks.

Huffing down my anger, like swallowing a bitter pill, I nod. "I'm fine. Let's finish this." I clench down on my jaw and bring myself to a standing position on shaken knees. The wound in my shoulder stretches, and at the sight of it, Bren's eyes widen. But the sympathy doesn't last long as his next emotion, anger, is directed at Renit.

"The least you could do is go easy," he snaps at the witch of storm with disheveled hair and a deep frown. "Don't kill her."

Renit opens his mouth to speak, possibly words that will worsen our situation, but I extend a hand out in his direction to stop him. "Bren, this is a process, and it takes time. The last thing we need is for you to interrupt us every time we come out here." The silent threat hisses through my clenched teeth and when I plant my boots firmly onto the ground and clench my hands into fists, Bren looks me up and down.

If he doesn't leave now, I'll make him. My power will shove him back to the village and trap him underneath a dirt dome of his own. "Roux, you need to be careful. His power is stronger than yours and if—"

"Bren!" I interrupt, dragging my hands through my hair out of the need to grab onto something. I expose my palms to him and clap my hands together. "I understand that I need to be careful; that's why I'm carrying titanium bands. I'm not stupid, I can do this. But to ensure no one else is injured, and the power doesn't recognize yours as a threat, you need to leave."

He huffs through his nose and looks between the two of us. From the flame rising into his blue eyes like water freezing over on a cold night, I can tell what he has to say next will not be pleasant. "Only the weak have Outbursts." He spits onto the dirt in front of his boots.

Fisting grass into his hands and ripping the roots from the ground, Renit furrows his brows together. We exchange a confused glance; Outbursts can happen to anyone and that includes Bren. There's no time to explain this to him—the desperation to make himself appear like he's stronger than everyone is taking over. Time, time, time. Some say we have time, others say we don't. I find myself tugged in both directions.

"One more word and I rip your arm off and beat you with it, understand?" I threaten. I receive shocked glances from both witches in front of me. Partly, my power is speaking for me and the rest...well, I can't stand Bren's need to protect me around every corner.

We're involving ourselves in more than establishing a Grounding. This should'vebeen done months ago, back at the castle and underneath the close supervision of a specialist, but we don't have those resources here after everything that has happened. The Grounding doesn't begin to scratch the surface to what we will face—danger and all.

Bren will have to distance himself from the need to protect. I have a power I can use to my advantage; we have rebels that can fight until their dying breath; we have strength in numbers and in skill. We have enough to face that danger, but Bren still finds himself wanting to coddle me and ensure not a single scratch covers the surface of my skin. Things will have to change, and I need to make those adjustments now. Otherwise, he'll hold me back when it matters the most.

Bren's leather gloves groan as he tightens his hands into fists. "Fine." He turns on his heel to head back in Arego's direction. "Don't come crying to me when this doesn't work."