Chapter 23

The heads on stakes, the smell of rotting corpses hanging from crosses in the streets, the constant squawking of birds as they fight over who gets to peck out the eyes. These are all things I didn't miss about being in Lona. When Renit and I left months ago, I never thought I'd see this place again and the faces of the residents—covered in scars or fresh wounds from battles they didn't ask for.

This time around, Renit doesn't have to tell me to keep my eyes down. Citlali is in our presence, the only two witches of ground coming together as one in the kingdom—in one city—but I don't feel completely protected. I shouldn't, considering we walked into Lona on the day of the biggest market of the year.

The Summer Sales is taking place this week. And today is the first day. It was something Citlali failed to mention until the last minute, after we managed to get through the mountain passes with only a single interaction from a terrified driver leading a wagon back in the other direction. He hadn't wanted to stay in the mountains during the night, by himself, so he bolted. I don't blame him.

The depths of Lona hold more than what the city is readily available to show. The deepest, darkest, and evilest members crawl out of their dark holes to take part in the Summer Sales, whether they have to kill someone to get there. They may, just for the pleasantry of it, and to warn others not to step close.

A heavy hood does not do a decent enough job to cover my facial features. The setting sun beats down onto my cheeks, heating them insufferably, but I keep my eyes down and focus on the faint blood splatter staining the surface we walk on. Celestine was here—she saw all of this. How had she not stated her absolute horror with such a city? I definitely would've, I did, and she listened repulsively.

Renit leads the charge for the two of us. He cuts through the busy streets with ease and, to make himself appear normal, glances at a few wares before continuing on. I can barely lift my eyes without fear of meeting a challenger's, yet he's shopping. To put on a decent show, I remind myself. Lona will not allow him to come through here without paying his dues. The city doesn't survive on visitors.

"We need to find an inn," I mutter to Citlali, leaning close so she can hear me.

She peeks out at me from the corner of her hood, her olive eyes widening in response. Even she isn't welcome here after residing within these streets for so many years. The city, now that she's left it, will never seem like home again. It can't, not after she's witnessed the destruction of what the rebellion brings.

"I know the perfect place. And the owner knows me, I used to steal for him," she whispers back. I nearly have to strain to hear her.

Anyone in the market might hear her and assume she stole from them, whether now or back then, it doesn't matter in a fight. Citlali would face the crude results of her decision and have no choice to fight the market goer that challenges her to a bloody, to the death, battle in the middle of the street. Whether they take out the rest of the city with them, it doesn't matter.

"Of course you did." My words hiss through my teeth. "Is there anything else I should know about your association with these people? When I walk next to you, I feel like there's a target on my back."

Citlali flashes me a white grin. "Technically, there is. One way or the other, most of these people know me. Not from anything good, they've learned that I didn't halt my attempts for anyone—my power answered any troubles for me. Maintain the same standard and everyone will leave you alone."

I dare to look up and find no one is looking at me. Instead, I'm shadowed enough behind Renit's large figure that no one approaching could spot me in the first place. That's either a good thing for me or a bad thing for Renit. Either way, whether me or him, I fight to get us out. No more deaths. I don't want to lose anyone else.