chapter one

WARNING: includes foul language, lowercase letters intended. (this is my first story so it's probably gonna suck)
jayden's pov:
my name is Jayden Bartels, i'm 15 and i go to James Creek Highschool. im in the tenth grade. i guess you could say i'm the top of my class? i have straight A's and i excel in everything i do...well, almost everything. i'm book smart and i'd never deny that, but i act up at school. to be honest, behaving is pointless and the administration expects way too much out of you. so i do whatever i want. i come and go as i please. i'm able to understand and retain knowledge easily because i have a photogenic memory, so if i see something i'll automatically always be able to remember it.
and because i make outstanding grades my teachers have never gotten me into trouble for anything that i've done. up until yesterday afternoon.
yesterday i got yelled by my french teacher, mr Kafé, for cracking jokes the entire period. he was fed up with my bullshit, and to be honest if i were in his position, i would be too.
he sent me to the principals office, a place that i visit often. i walked in, took a seat in front of the principals desk, and waited for her to address me.
"what'd you do this time Jayden?" Mrs Hawks asked me, without looking up from her desktop.
"Nothing." i said in the most innocent voice i could force out of myself.
she finally looked up at me.
"Jayden, i'm tired of giving you detention and sending you home early!"
"then don't!"
"i'm your principal, what am i supposed to do?"
"act like my cousin for a second, because you are, and just let my go."
she narrowed her eyes at me.
"i could loose my job for doing that. i'm sorry Jayden, but you're gonna have to pick now. move up a grade or tutor."
my worst fears: being with older kids in our grade (they're scary), and meeting strangers.
"that isn't far!"
"it actually is. i've given you plenty of chances. now pick."
"...how long do i have to tutor a kid for...?"
Monica, or mrs Hawks in school, walked me down to the room 259. that's the room where kids who are failing over half their classes are in. they're pretty much considered sped here.
as soon as she opened the door the room got completely silent. she then spoke to the teacher behind the desk. i couldn't hear what they were saying, nor did i want to. after they finished exchanging words, the teacher looked to the back of the classroom and shouted out "Leblanc!" while motioning her hands for the person she was talking to. a girl wearing a hood that covered her entire face stood up from her seat and walked over to us, eyes on her feet. "how many times do i have to tell you to take off that hoodie?!" the teacher practically screamed at her. the girl jumped but did not respond. Monica her arm over the girls shoulder and took both me and her out of the room, into the empty hallway. she then spoke, "Annie, this is Jayden. she'll be your tutor for the rest of this semester." i saw annie's eye shoot up towards me before the shifted back down to her feet. Monica continued, speaking directly to me this time. "Annie's different from all these other kids, you see....she doesn't speak."
what the actual hell.