chapter 6

Annie's pov:
Jayden and i tried to continue asking each other questions but we ended up just smiling all goofy like for the rest of the period. every time i lost eye contact with her i'd feel a certain way. like, alone almost?
that's really weird. i usually enjoy being alone and dread everyone's company but for some reason Jayden wasn't too bad.
right now we're in the nurses office. it's the end of the day so we're waiting for Jayden's cousin who's apparently the principal to pack her stuff up so we can go. the nurse had already left so we're chilling in here with lights dimmed.
Jayden and i are lying on the sick bed (idk what it's called) side by side. we're not saying anything to each other, we're just laying down. i'm counting the ceiling tiles in my head.
i can feel Jayden's eyes burning into my side profile. i turned my head slightly to the left to look at her. she slightly smiled at me. her smile makes me weak.
"what?" the soft girl next to me, whispered.
"what?" i mouthed, mocking her. not knowing exactly what else i'm supposed to say. even if it did, it wouldn't come out.
she giggled and lightly ran her fingers through my hair. our eyes poured into one another's.
i'm not nervous.
i'm not anxious.
i'm not stressed.
i'm not frustrated.
i'm not freaking out.
for once in my life, i'm not scared. this is the closest i've allowed someone near me ever since speech therapy.
when i'm with her like this i feel calm. i feel okay.
Jayden lifted her hand up to my cheek. her thumb lightly rubbed against my bottom lip.
all i can see is her lips slowly moving towards mine. as soon as i felt her breathe my breath hitched. my eyes started to close when mrs Hawks burst through the door.
shit.
"okay girls! let's hit the roa- ...oh....oh! we're y'all-"
"stop. please." Jayden cut her off. she sat up and looked at me with annoyance written all over her face. she then got up and grabbed both of our backpacks. she took my hand and yanked me up, onto my feet.
"i'm sorry, i really didn't know y'all-"
"oh my God. Can we just go to the car?"
a smile creeped onto my face. is it bad that i like it when she's mad? like it's kinda cute...
what the hell.
"you girls can head to the car, i need talk to Mr Lylack."
"the AP us history teacher?" jayden questioned, in disgust.
"i just need to ask him to prep for students who are doing late registration and enrollment."
jayden nodded her head slowly, not sure whether mrs Hawks was telling the truth or not, but eventually shrugged her shoulders and motioned for me to follow her.
i'm going to Jayden Bartels house.
huh.