Thirteenth Chapter

Harley sat in the waiting room, his leg bouncing up and down in a rhythm. His dad stood at the doorway, watching his son in his worried state as they waited for that Spider-Man kid to get out of surgery. Tony had yet to talk to Harley about anything, but they would have that chat once the kid, Peter, was all healed up.

And once Peter was out of surgery, Harley sat beside his bed, just watching over him like some kind of guardian angel. Harley wouldn't talk to anyone, and he barely are the food that the Avengers brought him as they watched over him. Harley wouldn't move, not taking showers or going to sleep. He would just sit in that chair, waiting for Peter to wake up from his coma state.

Peter looked so peaceful in his sleep. His hair sat in curls around his face, and he had a tiny smile on his lips as if he was having a good dream. He didn't have a look of worry that Harley had come used to, and Harley couldn't see his eyes, the doe brown eyes that were filled with untold horrors of Peter's dark past. And Harley almost didn't want to wake Peter up, to take him away from his peace and serenity.

But at the same time, Harley kept praying that Peter would wake up. Peter had revealed that he liked Harley back before he went down, and Harley could only dwell on that fact now. Harley wanted just that, to be there for Peter, and to be the one to love him. But Harley couldn't do that if Peter died, Harley couldn't love Peter if he died. Harley refused to let Peter die.

****

Peter woke up slowly, the bright lights piercing through the fog of sleep that held him captive. He slowly opened his eyes, the room being brighter than he would wish for. And Peter couldn't tell someone because his throat felt scratchy. 

Peter looked around for something to drink, but all he saw was the hunched over form of someone. They looked like they were asleep on his bed, sitting in the chair right beside the bed. Whoever the person was they were holding Peter's hand.

Peter used his other hand to brush the hair out of the person's face, recognizing the sleeping form of Harley. Peter smiled at how cute Harley was when he was sleeping.

Thinking of that, Peter remembered the events that led him to the hospital. The dragon, the lady, her words, and telling Harley that he liked him. But Peter also learned that this was Harley Stark, not Harley Keener. Peter didn't know which he was more embarrassed about.

Harley started to hum in his sleep before his eyes opened, finding Peter's eyes. For a second, they both stared at each other, not making any noise.

Then Harley bounded up, wrapping his arms around Peter, crying in his shoulder. Peter slowly wrapped his own arms around Harley's torso, holding him close. Harley looked towards Peter, "I thought you wouldn't wake up. You've been out for an entire week."

"I've been out for longer if that makes you feel better," Peter said with a small laugh. Harley shifted to sitting on the bed beside Peter, leaning on his shoulder for reassurance that Peter was awake.

"Did happen when you were with Skip?" Harley asked quietly, worry still filling up his features, as his hands played with each other.  Peter took in a sharp breath, silent for a moment.

"Yeah, yeah, it was in that time," Peter responded just as quietly. Harley took in a sharp breath, sort of waiting for Peter to continue. "When he first adopted me, he was great. Then it slowly grew darker, and I was little so I didn't know it was wrong. But once I did, Skip wouldn't let me go anywhere or do anything. I was basically his slave. I finally was able to tell the police, but they couldn't put Skip in jail without any proof. It was my word against his, and that was only enough for me to go back to an orphanage. I didn't know he would be at the party."

Harley just hugged Peter tighter, something coming to his head. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I wanted you to like me for me, not because I was a Stark." 

"I'd probably do the same thing. And I meant what I said before I dropped, I like you, too," Peter said, adding on something very quietly at the end. "I may even love you."