Twenty Sixth Chapter

Deep within the darkness that had settled over Peter, deep within the relaxing sleep he was experiencing, Peter could vaguely hear something being repeated over and over again. At first, it was just a a blur of sounds, letters that didn't make sense together being shoved together. But Peter was trying to focus on it, hoping to clear away some of the extra noise.

The dragon that comes at nights,
Will be the one that fights
The dragon that comes at days
Will be the one that stays

It was just that, over and over again like a broken record player. Peter tried to figure out where he heard it, but images of dragons, particularly two different dragons, just came floating around his unconsciousness. Peter tried focusing on them now, the words he tried so hard to figure becoming nothing more than static at the moment.

One dragon was silver and blue, with eyes ready to pierce through anything. It roared with shimmering blue and silver fire, making itself known to the world. The sky behind the dragon was black, with the twinkling stars trying, but failing, to steal the attention away from the mighty beast.

The other dragon was red and gold, it's eyes burning with a sort of passion. It didn't breath fire, but it radiate enough heat to start one. The sky behind it had the sun shooting golden rays at the translucent beast.

One that came at night, one that came during the day. One that was prepared to fight, the other calm and collected. The same creature, but different variations.

Peter slowly opened his eyes, staring ahead of him as he tried to piece the puzzle together. What did all this mean? Was it metaphorical or was the dragons actually coming to fight and stay?

What woke Peter up fully was a loud crash followed by a scream. Peter shot up from his bed, pulling all the wires with him as he stood. He surveyed the room, finding a person against the wall, almost sleeping soundly on it. The other was of a noise. Like a bird flapping it's wings, but 100 times louder. Peter slowly turned, seeing a huge dragon, with silver eyes pinned straight at him.

The dragon growled as Peter gulped. The dragon was still outside the building, unable to get in without shrinking in on itself. And that wasn't a good move if you were fighting, trust Peter when he said that, he's been in plenty of fights.

The dragon opened its mouth, letting Peter see the build up of blue and silver flames, looking like waves ready to drown any victim that came in its path.

Peter grabbed onto the person, Harley, and his discarded Spider-Man suit that was on a chair, running out of the room, knocking over a bunch of machines that were hooked up to Peter.

Peter ran down the hallway, putting his suit on while dragging Harley, trying to ignore the pain swelling in his systems. Peter fell forwards when the heat broke through into the room, the fire climbing the walls as it raced towards the pair.

Peter threw Harley forwards, the blue and silver flames starting to come at them faster. Peter held his breath as he came into the smoke, eyes watering as he tried to put his mask on. Unfortunately, things began to swirl around him, the fire become figures from his path.

Peter looked around quickly, the smoke swelling into his loved ones like his parents and his aunt and uncle, before fading away in puffs. The flames rose, becoming Skip and Dr. Sought, stepping towards them like they were hellfire.

Peter couldn't scream as the smoke starting to come toward him, but he could hear voices yelling at him. So Peter just started running, past all the people that made up his past, hoping they wouldn't follow, even though he knew that was a long shot.

Peter finally escaped the smoke, taking in deep breaths that soothed his aching lungs. Peter tried to walk forwards, but cried out in pain when the fire touched his shoulder. Peter turned around to find the hand of Skip, his eyes being nothing more than small specks of red flames that looked like the images of Hell were locked inside. The rest of the figure was mostly blue flames with flecks of silver that raced from the bottom to top.

Peter ran from the figure, Skip just become one with the rest of the flames, his eyes turning silver to race upwards. Peter ran to Harley who was know awake at the end of the hallway.

Harley was frantically talking to Peter, trying to figure out what happened. Peter didn't answer, instead staring at his shaking hands, ignoring the pain in his shoulder, even if that was most likely a stupid plan.

Harley stopped talking, looking at the burn mark. He touched it, with Peter flinching away. Harley didn't stop though, moving the fabric to look at the burning flesh, his nose quivering at the disgusting smell.

"We need to get help, and you aren't fit enough to help fight," Harley said quietly. They both stood up, but Peter was swaying too much to get very far. Harley came to help Peter, even though the teenager flinched away. "Peter, I can't hurt you, even if I wanted to. I love you to much to do that, and I love you to much to let you die. So let me help."

Peter just nodded, closing his eyes as Harley kept him propped up. Together they moved slowly down the hallway, away from the flames that rose up as figures. The dragon was probably still outside, fueling the heat and flames.