11

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to get caught back up. My uncle was usually asleep by the time I got home, and stayed asleep as long as I was quiet. I was completely fine with it.

I sat on my bed, reading the book we had been assigned in English when I heard a crashing sound from the living room. I shot up and ran out there, seeing my uncle collapsed with a broken picture frame in front of him. A beer bottle was a few feet away, tipped on its side.

Without saying anything, I dropped down and started picking up the bigger shards. I forced myself not to look at the picture, not wanting to know which one he decided to break. After a few seconds, my uncle looked up and stared at me for a while. I finally looked up at him, pausing mid-reach for another piece of glass when he shoved me backwards with his foot. The glass fell from my hand and scattered back out while my shoulder had a sharp shooting pain after hitting the ground.

I whimpered and attempted to sit up, but my uncle kicked me down. "Should have never said yes to taking you in."

I inhaled sharply, tears forming in my eyes. I couldn't tell if it was from the comment or the pain. He pressed down on my hurt shoulder and I screamed loudly, hitting the floor and cutting my fist.

"All you've ever been was trouble." He eased up long enough for me to take a few breaths before doing it again. "You've never been on my side."

"That's not true!" I yelled, hitting at his leg, trying to get him to leave my shoulder alone. "Stop! I'm sorry!" What did I even do? He's been drunk and asleep. "Let me go!"

"You don't tell me what to do," he spat, pressing harder with the tip of his foot. "You're not in charge, Louis."

"You are! You are!" I tried twisting my body to get away but it just made the pain worse. "Stop please!"

He took his foot off and stepped away for a minute. I grabbed the pulsing muscle, feeling the blood soaking into my shirt. "Hospital," I mumbled quietly, inhaling sharply due to pain.

"No, no fucking way," my uncle denied.

"I'm bleeding." I pulled my fingers away and stared at the red stained digits, making sure he would be able to see them. When that didn't make him blink I closed my eyes tightly. "I thought you loved me," I whispered.

I heard his footsteps grow until he was besides me. He pulled me to my feet carefully and lead me to the car, having me sit in the back seat. Once he was in the car he started talking. "Come up with a story for that."

"I was fighting with my ex and she pushed me into the picture frame."

The doctor wanted me to press charges, but I insisted that the made up girlfriend wouldn't come back. He stitched my shoulder and warned against doing anything that would pull the stitches out. My uncle didn't seem to be paying attention, and I gave it maybe two days before they ripped open.

We left the hospital and my uncle turned to me. "Do you remember Niall's number?"

"Why?" I asked, suddenly afraid he found out about me talking to them. I forced myself not to react in any other way than seeming slightly curious.

"Until your shoulder's healed, you can stay over there. But I want you checking in so I know you're not just running from me." He looked down. "Don't make me regret this, Louis." I shook my head when he looked over at me, resulting in a torn sigh.

He handed me his phone and I dialled Niall's number. He answered after a few rings, and I stuck with the story, only changing the fact to be my uncle's girlfriend, not mine. He said he'd be right over to get me.