Dreams

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Mary woke up from her sleep, very early in the morning. She felt exhausted and cramps on her limbs. She looked on her left - Francis was deep in his sleep. He must be exhausted too. Mary smiled.

They had a special night together last night and both were recovering again their intimate moments. He was very careful but still very much longed for it too. He was quite vigorous this time. She could sense his desire immediately when they reached their bedchamber last night after dinner. It was the second time they made love after learning about her pregnancy. She enjoyed it very much. And him too. Pregnancy did change her mood. The sensation of her body was remarkable and unexplainable.

She did not want to disturb him but she needed to empty her full bladder.  It became her routine in early morning. She can't hold on anymore. She was only clad in thin silk night gown, quickly moved from her bed, adorned her night robe because she couldn't not stand with the cold breeze. Once she touched the floor, she winced.

"Ouch!"

She felt a slight cramp that came once over her lower abdomen. It wasn't there before. Francis wasn't stirred by her. She sighed. Something new she guessed for pregnancy.

She reached the pot chamber, empty the bladder. Felt much relief till she saw a drop of brownish colored blood in the pot. She gasped. It startled her immediately. She never bled for months already, as she counted, it was almost 4 months. And she saw another droplet of blood on the inner side of her thigh. She touched the blood in disbelief - it was red in color. It really alarmed her.

She quickly went straight to Francis who still on the bed. But she felt her legs became weaken, and she was slightly dizzy. She sat halfway on the floor, tears flooded her eyes. She cried his name in between her sobs.

"Francis!... Francis!"

He stirred from his deep sleep, trying to open up his eyes but felt very much exhaustion. He looked on his right, saw Mary sobbing on the floor. His heart skipped a beat. He quickly got up and ran towards her.

Francis saw some red blood smeared on her night gown and on her hand. He gasped for a second while her beloved wife was still sobbing on the floor. She thought she already lost her unborn child. Hot tears running on her cheeks like an endless stream. She saw him. Unable to utter a word. Only tears replaced her feelings.

He touched her trembling body, collapsed to his feet and hug her tightly. Tears flooded to his eyes. He wished that was only a bad dream. Her body shook in his arms. He tried his best to calm her down. He felt guilty at the same time, something came to his mind - was he the one that caused it? Oh damn! Is it caused by their love making? I should be more careful!

"Shhh.... It's alright darling," Francis caressed her back repeatedly. It took a  moment for her till she stopped sobbing. She faced him. Her vision was blurry with tears. Francis could see sadness engulfed her to the most.

"Francis....?" Her voice was shaken. She wanted to believe that was nothing but the reality hit her hard. She continued, "What if the baby...?"

"Shh... Say nothing my love. We will see the Royal Physician together. The first thing in the morning," Francis persuaded her, rocking her gently while her head rested on his chest.

Mary couldn't closed her eyes. She couldn't wait any longer. She wanted to be sure very much. All this while they were waiting this bundle of joy so much. In her heart, she prayed the safety of her baby, the love that hanging over a thin thread of life. She felt her dream of a family with her husband just shattered.

To be continued.