Our Love

“A baby makes love stronger, the days shorter, the nights longer, savings smaller, and a home happier.”

The baby slept peacefully in her arm. She reminded her of Francis alot - light brown curls, long curled eyelashes and wide blue eyes. Her skin was so soft, so white and translucent. When she cried, her cheeks turned to peach to pink colour. Her small fingers and toes looked delicate and perfect.

She was beautiful in every way, even when she cried or sucking her breast. Mary was feeling funny when she first time she attached to her breast after her birth. She insisted to breastfeed the baby, even though she knew there was not much milk produced yet. She wanted to get the experience - the attachment, the stimulus, the bonding - with her newborn. She was a clever baby, quickly she opened her mouth when she got close to her breast and sucking gently. Initially Mary felt a tingling sensation and later she felt her breast gradually started to fill in. Looking at her face and the way she was sucking her breast, made Mary fell in love with her own baby.

Francis stayed with Mary after she was cleaned and stitched up by the Madame Bette. Mary didn't complain of much pain, after all she was so much divert to their newborn. Francis was glad the baby was born healthy and strong as her mother. It was such a miracle within a day. He was proud of his beloved wife, now a mother of their love.

Once the baby asleep, Francis took her from Mary as she needed to rest. The not yet named newborn wasn't heavy but not too light. She was a delicate baby yet already a beauty. After a while in his arm, she stretched out her arm from the white blanket. That surprised Francis and made him laughed.

"What's so funny, Francis?" Mary awoke from her sleep. She was almost drifted to her needed sleep after a tedious experience of bringing the baby to the world.

"Nothing my dear... I can see she is so strong like her  mother, she just shows me her fist. And she grasps my finger tightly." Francis said happily.

"And she looks as pretty as her father. I love her curls. It looks similar to you, " Mary said in hoarse voice. She has been wailing, screaming and moaning since early morning. Thank God she hasn't lost her voice, she thought.

"But I think she looks pretty like the woman I dearly love... Her mother. Or probably prettier than her," Francis chuckled. Mary smirked. She wasn't annoyed, she just too tired.

"We shall start thinking about her name... How about Anne?" Francis asked Mary who almost drifted to her sleep.

"I love it Francis, as long as I can call her Anne. She might have another three to four other names plus her title," Mary said, her eyes was already looking sleepy.

"I'm sorry my love. We will discuss it later, when you're healthier and stronger." Francis handed the baby to the wet nurses. All the nurses, midwife and Royal Physician already left their bed chamber, leaving Francis alone with Mary. Catherine did come earlier once the baby born. She was so happy as a new Grandmother, and she was glad a true heir of Scotland, France and England was born safely in French Court.

Francis stayed beside Mary, she was already asleep peacefully. He was so happy and proud of her that he felt the joy just burst in his chest.

"Mary, I am very proud of you. You have done something that you feel impossible. And I know you're the strongest person I ever know. And I will always love you and our daughter, Anne," Francis whispered to her ears and kissed her forehead repeatedly. He was so much in love with his wife who brought happiness to his world. He stayed longer afterwards beside her till he drifted in his sleep.

To be continued.