Childhood

"A baby has a special way of adding joy in every single day."

Mary was already bored. She was confined to her chamber for more than a month. Soon, summer will be over. She will miss the gardens, the summer breeze and sunshine. She missed walking barefoot on the grass and riding her favorite horse. Catherine strictly prohibited all these activities. She also missed Royal breakfast with Francis. So much changed with her pregnancy.

She noticed she didn't bleed anymore. Her belly was growing fast these weeks. She couldn't fit in her usual gowns. Catherine did help her alot - she even ordered the royal seamstress to make a new batch of clothes that fit for Mary's pregnancy. She usually strict with her but she was indeed a caring mother, in her own way.

Francis has left the room early in the morning. He went for horse ride that was his usual activities. Suddenly Mary missed him. She hasn't ride the horse and challenged him for a very long time. She remembered her childhood was quite adventurous when she was raised up in French Court.

She smiled to himself. Her childhood memories came back to her so frequently nowadays. Probably she sick already being too much cared for nothing.

Her stomach already started making noise - she knew she easily got hungry. And suddenly she felt a vigorous kick within her growing belly.

"Oh! That's very strong little bird. Are you hungry? Me too," Mary smiled and caressed her belly. She can feel another 1 or 2 kicks - probably the baby agreed with her.

The door cracked and Francis entered into their bed chamber with a tray. Right on time. It was quite frequent Francis did the servants task of bringing her breakfast. He didn't mind. He told her before he missed her at the Royal Breakfast.

"Morning wife," Francis put the tray to nearby table in front of the fireplace. Mary joined him.

"Morning darling." Francis gave her a peck of kiss on her cheek. And he rubbed her belly gently - his new habit.

"How is she?" Francis always thought the growing baby would be a girl.

"She's fine. She just gave me stronger kicks when she's hungry," Mary explained. She started her breakfast with her favorite sweet treats.

Francis took the cakes from her hand, prohibited her to put it into her mouth. He said, "not that cakes first, either the fruits or porridge."

"Since when you became my physician?" Mary argued. Francis just smiled. She knew the strict orders come from the Royal Physician and his mother. But still she wanted to argue.

"Please tell your mother that she has to." Francis pretended he was talking to the baby, in front of Mary's round belly, his palm over it. The baby gave another strong kick that made Mary laughed. Francis felt it as well.

They had their breakfast and then they walked to the chamber's balcony. It has been her routine nowadays. A bit of walk ease her anxiety. A bit of morning fresh air. But it wasn't enough for her.

"Oh Francis, I missed walking in the garden, barefooted, and smell the grass, the roses. Oh when I can do that?" She lamented as Francis wrapped his arm on Mary's shoulder, hugging her from the back tenderly.

Francis laughed a bit. He added, "you can also smell the horse dung every morning."

"Oh darling, I am serious. I am bored. I am just getting fat. Someday I will be as huge as a plough horse," Mary smiled.

"I will always love you even with warts and wrinkles." he laughed again and kissed at the back of her head. Mary gave an annoyed face.

"Do you remember our childhood, Francis? ... when you were climbing the apple trees near the sea wall and pitched the apples?" Mary pointed at the near gardens.

"Yes. I also remember you tried to climb those trees but you failed. Instead you climbed the slope of the walls. And slide on it in many ways,"

"I remember that I cut my knees, it was bleeding but I didn't care. Your mother was very upset with me."

"Well, she loves you and cares about your safety. Since we mentioned her name... Mary, I will ask her permission to bring you to the glasshouse today, the roses, I guess still there and blooming. The royal gardener told me a few days back. I hope there should be no harm for both of you, " Mary immediately turned to face him. Surprised by his suggestion.

"That sounds very interesting. Oh, thank you Francis.... A first trip for us, for our precious baby," Mary rubbed her belly and she felt the baby was kicking again. Francis hoped a short trip outside the castle would bring joy to his beloved wife. He kissed her forehead lightly. Yes, a trip for three of us.

To be continued.