Waiting

"Some things in life are
worth waiting for." - Danielle Steel

Catherine had already made an arrangement for royal announcement of Mary's pregnancy since she already passed the trouble in her pregnancy. She has been sending invitations earlier, to the nobles and royal family members, as far from Italy, to attend the event. It will be a combination of feast and entertainment, everything in minute detail - from the hall decoration, choice of main course and deserts and uniforms for the servants, and she called it a grand baby shower event. She did not care what it might cost from her own pocket.

Mary's pregnancy has been progressing very well and according to the Royal Physician, she will be approaching childbirth in next 3 months. Francis suggested to his mother, the announcement can be delayed if any problems encountered but Catherine still insisted to do the royal announcement. Mary did not argue very much. She felt much better and healthier. She enjoyed her cramps and aches.

Francis started to feel a bit worried of Mary's condition. She still wanted to walk in the garden, watching the boats, smell the roses and occasionally walking barefooted. He simply could not stop her. She was wild and free spirit sometimes. She was still being forbidden to ride her horse, or visit nearby château.

That morning he couldn't accompany Mary. He was quite busy in her study room. There were piles of books, ledgers, documents on his desk. He was busy with all the paperwork left by the army commander. They were not at war but some notes about the border safety that he needed to pay attention. He was using the same desk used before by her late father, King Henry who was killed in the jousting event. The memory made him shuddered. But he missed him too.

"Francis?.... Are you alright?" Mary interrupted his contemplation. She stood behind him and squeezed his shoulder lightly.

"You have been staring the window in ages." Mary added.

"Oh darling... I thought you have left to the garden with your ladies," he immediately touched her hand and kissed her palm.

"I was,... but I missed you so much. And so this baby too. She can't kept calm, always kicking around my belly till I come here." Mary chuckled and kissed Francis cheek. And sat on Francis lap. He didn't find Mary was too heavy in her 7 months pregnancy. He still found her beautiful. Her sweet dimples was more prominent as her weight increased.

"Really? Well... I miss you a lot too. Both of you," Francis chuckled as he felt the baby kicked on his palm over Mary's round belly. It was felt like a miracle to feel the baby growing fast. He felt he couldn't wait to see her or him. He must be patient.

"How's your preparation for the royal announcement?.. more to a feast to me."

"Darling, I don't feel like involve myself around your mother. She already thought everything, to every small detail. She did not even allow me to arrange the invitations. Well, I didn't care so much. I just want to enjoy myself, but now I miss you," Mary lamented. She played the edge of Francis coat with gold embroidery. Francis noticed her dismay. And he did not like it. He touched her chin gently and suddenly got an idea.

"Come with me to the Royal barn after lunch - I heard a mare belongs to my little sister, Princess Elizabeth just gave birth yesterday to a white beautiful filly." Mary was surprised with the news.

"Is she hurt... During the childbirth?" Mary asked, hesitantly.  She liked horse but she never heard such thing before. It really chilled to her spine.

"No I guess. That was not her first time, probably her third time. I saw her gave birth for the first time years ago. It was not difficult. Why?" Francis was quite surprised with her question. He guessed she was hiding her fear.

"Nothing. Just asking," She smiled nervously.

"Darling, I do need to finish this paperwork before lunch so we can go together later on. Otherwise the commander will scream at me," Francis laughed. He added, "you can fill your time with... Needle work or reading books."

"Oh Francis ... I would rather wait and watch you than do sewing or reading. Can I just.... stay here dear?"

"Sure...you can my love," Francis smiled. He loved her presence. Sometimes she acted like a child. But he believed she would be a great mother soon to their precious baby.

Mary sat on the divan nearby Francis desk. She quickly became bored watching him concentrating on his work. She tried to read a book but a moment later she already doze off in her sleep. She was nowhere in her dream waiting for him.

To be continued.