The Arrival

"I love you Mary, and I would do anything for you" - Francis

After Mary and Francis had breakfast in their bed chamber that morning, the pain came stronger, frequently as well as she was wet with sweats and fluids continuously coming out from her womb as her water broke. Francis insisted to call the Royal Physician and midwife, but Mary requested to send them in later that morning. She didn't want to alarm everyone in early morning.

Despite of the repetitive painful contractions, she was still hungry and ate a bit her breakfast for her strength. She then ordered for a warm bath. Madame Bette told her before it might ease the pain a bit. Francis took over the servant work in the pot chamber where she had her warm bath. He carresed and massage her back whenever the tightening of her belly recurred. She clinged to his neck for everytime the pain occurred. Mary couldn't stop winced in a couple of times as it became less bearable. She also noticed she started to bleed later on after hardening of the womb.

"Oh Francis, it comes more frequently now.... and sometimes I felt the baby is pushing downward... Ugh," another sharp contraction interrupt her that made her gasping for breath. She continued then when it subsided, "I think it's time to get the whole team."

"I agree. Darling, it's time for you to stay in bed too... Now I'm already a bit worried," Francis helped her dressed up, changed to a clean white nightgown and brought her to their bed. She was clutching her belly from time to time. Immediately he asked the servant to call the Royal Physician, Madame Bette and her team. He also ordered the servant to inform his mother that the baby would arrive soon.

"Please don't leave me, Francis," Mary said repeatedly in between her increasing painful contractions. She held his arm for strength till each one of them abated, but it occurred sooner than she thought. Later on, the whole team came swarming the room.

The Royal Physician made a quick examination and found that her labour had progressed very well for a first timer. Madame Bette timed her contractions and it already came regularly and strong enough. Both of them would predict she would deliver the baby by noon or probably later. Madame Bette as well as the Royal Physician offered Mary some medication, sedative, but she refused as she said she could handle her pain. Francis surprised with her strength.

Francis did not leave her except when his mother came and had a little talk with him. He informed her about Mary's progress. Catherine was surprised that she was already in labour hours earlier in the morning without alarming people in the castle. Francis reassured his mother that there was nothing to worry about. He told her that he would be beside her for the whole process of childbirth. Catherine was amazed by his son courage, he was indeed totally different from his late father. Their conversation was cut short as Mary called for him.

Two hours later, Mary felt like pushing the baby. However, from the Physician examination it wasn’t the time yet. She felt anguish with the pain and had to wait more. Madame Bette advised her to lie on her side to ease the pain and it helped to bring the baby lower with each contraction. She just followed her instructions and clinged to Francis shoulder. In between her wailing, he continuously gave her encouraging words, wiped her dampened face, and
carresed her back. She was starting to feel more exhausted than before but she did not want to give up.

It was noon when Mary couldn't hold on with the feeling of bearing down anymore. She felt the baby head already down below. She was screaming for help. Quickly the physicians examined again and found the baby head was about to deliver. It wasn't emerged yet but she was allowed to push it out. Mary was position on the bed with a little bit propped up and both of her legs bent and widely opened for the ease of the baby delivery. Madame Bette will receive the baby as requested by Mary and Francis.

"Your Grace, you need to prepare now, once the pain comes, you have to concentrate, first take deep breath and push as hard and as long as you can. Soon, both of you will see your baby," Madame Bette was at the end of the bed, waiting to receive the baby. She was holding a white towel on her left arm. Despite of the tense atmosphere, she kept on smiling to Mary. She found that was a bit awkward when she was struggling with the unbearable pain.

"Francis, help...." Suddenly Mary felt an overwhelming pain came like a wave to her body. She was a bit panic.

"Concentrate Mary. My Love, now take a deep breath, and push!... Deep breath and push harder! ... Don't stop! I see a bit the baby head!" Francis saw a glimpse of the baby head but it didn't come out yet as the contraction stopped . Mary was screaming in pain. She felt very exhausted already.

She pushed for a couple of times with the strong contractions but the baby didn't descend as planned. It seemed more difficult than she thought. Mary was almost going to give up. Francis noticed her exhaustion.

"Your Grace, I know it is painful right now, and you're very tired but you need to push harder in the next contraction. The baby is almost out but you need to push it out." Madame Bette encouraged her. Francis wiped her dampened forehead, gave her a peck of kiss and he said," don't give up My Love. I know you can do it. For us."

"Oh Francis....I don't know I can do this or not... "

Mary tried to smiled but tears falling from the edge of her eyes. She wanted the baby so much. As well as Francis. This was their fruit of love. But she was very tired and she was praying for a miracle of strength to endure it.

Francis was surprised by her tears. He immediately whispered to her. His voice was shaking with fear, "you can do it darling. Don't give up! Don't give up on our love!"

"I love you Francis-"

Suddenly the contraction pain came and with Francis help, she was propped up a bit higher. She held both of her hips and took a deep breath, clenched her teeth and pushed as hard as she could.

"That's it! One more push! Harder!" Madame Bette screamed at the end of the bed. Mary drew deep breath again and pushed with all her might. The pain was so unbearable but she kept pushing longer. And another one. A moment later, she felt something pulled out from her body, feeling it tearing her body apart and she screamed loudly. She fell on her pillows in exhaustion. Francis kissed her forehead repeatedly. He was also in tears.

It was followed by an awkward silence and a splash sound, and then... A loud cried of newborn baby, filled the room.

Madame Bette made a knot at the umbilical cord with a thread and cut it with a clean scissor. She gently warped the baby who was still smeared with blood with the white towel and handed it to Mary and Francis.

"Your Majesty, Your Grace... It's a beautiful baby girl"

Mary was a immediately in tears, not in pain anymore, but with full of joy. Francis couldn't help too, he was crying with happiness. Their bundle of joy was perfect and beautiful. Francis kissed Mary on her temple and then the baby forehead.

"Thank you My Love. I love you Mary Stuart... Forever"

To be continued.