What you don't know pt13

4 days had past.

Mrs Lovett was busy closing up the shop after another successful night. She happily stood counting out the money she had made as Toby headed in from the courtyard outside. He noticed the smile on her face as she counted out the money on her work station and there seemed to be a lot of it.

"Mr Todd as been an awfully long time with that customer upstairs" he piped up hinting at the fact he had an terrible idea what had really happened to the gentleman that headed up to the barber shop about half an hour ago.

Mrs Lovett glanced at him not looking to pleased and narrowed her eyes. "What ave' I told ya about your thought on Mista T" she warned him sternly.

Just then Sweeney Todd's last customer came walking down the stairs outside. Mrs Lovett smiled smugly and crossed her arms in front of Toby. "See"

She had told Mr Todd no more bodies. In truthfulness she was getting short of meat again but she was too afraid of Toby finding out to tell Mr Todd she needed more supplies...

Toby watched the customer leaving happily and inwardly felt annoyed. He wanted to catch the barber out, he wanted to prove to Mrs Lovett he was right about him. The very idea of a murder living above them made Toby scared not only that he wanted to protect Mrs Lovett from him. He was frightened Mr Todd might try and kill her too if he lost his patients with her, he had seen how the barber treated her and Toby didn't like it. She deserved some kindness and some help for all she does and yet she receives nothing.

"Oh I've got a letter from Johanna" she remembered pulling it out from her bosom just as Sweeney walked in.

"Good timing dear" she smirked at him.

Sweeney sneered at the boy while Toby glared at him when he entered. They really hated each other and even Mrs Lovett saw the looks they gave one another. It broke her heart.

"What's this?" He asked casually snatching it from her hand as he approached her. Toby hated he was so rude toward her but what annoyed him most was that Mrs Lovett didn't seem to care. Couldn't she see she deserved better.

"Johanna wrote" she said.

Sweeney had to admit this was the first thing this week that actually caused his lips to crease into a smile. As he opened it he felt Mrs Lovett place her hand on his shoulder peering over at the letter as he read it to himself quietly.

"She's pregnant" he stated dryly. His face was like stone Mrs Lovett couldn't tell whether he thought this was a good or bad thing. The news had taken him back a little he hadn't expected this so soon. Johanna's last letter was telling them she was marrying Anthony, now this! It was all too quick, all too sudden in his opinion.

Smiling Mrs Lovett took the letter into her own hands after he read it and smiled down at the familiar hand writing. "Her and Anthony had been married a few weeks and we're now excepting a baby...oh how lovely" Mrs Lovett grinned over at Toby to which he smiled back genuinely happy for her.

"This is good news love, your a grandfather" she could tell he didn't look so happy about this and for that she frowned. He just stood there staring straight ahead at nothing...

"She's too young" he stated bluntly rather irritated by the whole idea. First he got her back into his life then she was whisked away by the sailor and now was starting her own family. He would never be important to her, she would soon start to forget about him...

"I think it's wonderful" Mrs Lovett pipped up cheerfully to which he scowled at her. She shut herself up and gulped under his angry gaze.

"You would" he muttered before turning his head back to staring at nothing.