Chapter 4: Trinity

-Sometime Ago-

Only a few days had passed since the truce between teams RNJR and the newly named CRMS were starting to get to know each other. Most of their conversations had been about their travels, and their time at Beacon before the unfortunate events. Melody, Scout were more than willing to share their likes and dislikes. Though as for personal things, Melody and Rosario were unwilling to share.

Scout on the other hand had been open to this sort of idea.

Ruby was happy that everyone was getting along so well; she was especially happy to see Melody's smiling again like the good old days she remembered in Patch.

Though a certain someone wasn't joining in on the conversation.

On this day, she noticed Roman acting more different than usual.

He had a certain look in his eye as he trailed behind the group. Not only that, over the course of a few days, he avoided all conversation, even with Cristal which had been surprising. Though it wasn't like he forced her away; she noticed that she gave her space, and didn't bother to try to interact with him or ask what was wrong.

She couldn't help but find it odd.

The group soon decided to take a break as they set up a small picnic near a meadow field, and just beside a river, where Frosty and Senka played.

They only made simple sandwiches with the supplies they had. The group continued to chat with one another, as Scout had been telling them about her home.

"No way!" Ruby said, "Your dad is a retired Huntsman?"

"Yup." Scout replied with a smile, "He has been since he found me. I live in a small town along with my mother, just on the north of Anima. Him and my mother taught me all that I know about combat and medical expertise. Pretty good combo, don't you think?"

"I'll say!" Nora said with a smile.

"You mentioned before that you were adopted." Jaune said, "Do you have an idea on who your real parents are?"

Scout nodded, "My real parents were a part of a bandit tribe. My father was a part of the team that drove them away before the Grimm came. They... Left me behind in the scuffle. If it wasn't for my father and mother, I wouldn't be here."

"Well, it's comforting to know that they're still good people out in the world." Ren said with a smile.

"Yeah, that there is." Scout replied.

"What about you Rosario?" Jaune asked turning to her, "What were you doing before all of this?"

"Eh, I was mostly scraping around to get by." Rosario said as she rubbed her neck a little, "Got involved with questionable groups, but eventually turned to bounty hunting. Was the only thing I was good at, and it was a decent way to put food on the table. Been traveling through the Kingdoms since, before I found myself back in Anima again."

"Ooo! Interesting!" Nora said before looking over to Melody, "How about you? What brings you out to these parts?!"

Melody had been hesitant to answer as she gave a concerned look in Ruby's direction, which Ruby herself didn't seem to notice at first. After a moment of regaining herself, she gave her answer, "... I made a promise to Yang, and my sister before I left home. It's one I don't intend to break anytime soon. That's all there is to it."

Ruby took notice of the sound of her voice; she was about to say something when she had been interrupted by Jaune.

"And you guys, didn't even attend one of the other academies?" He said.