Chapter 11 - Selfish

Previously in chapter 10...

"Let's wait for David to wake up. In the meantime, tell me more about Jasper."

"Okay!"

***

Max was sleeping soundly with his bear, the crib was much warmer than usual. Usually, the crib would be too cold to sleep in that he would walk to the counselor's cabin and ask if he could sleep with Gwen. If nobody answers the door, he'd go to the Mess Hall's kitchen because it felt much more better to sleep indoors when it was cold outside. But this time he had a nice thick blanket wrapped around him.

Wait, blanket? Max sat upwards and pushed the blanket away, just to realize where he was. He now remembered, he got lost in the woods and followed Jasper into a mansion. Speaking of Jasper, where was he?

"Jasper?" He yelled, pulling the blankets up to his nose. No response, "Jasper?" He yelled again. Still no response. Max then wondered, what if Jasper was all in his head and he didn't really exist? What if Jasper was made of the fear that engulfed him last night? What if he was going crazy? He shook his head and grabbed Mr. Honeynuts and jumped off the large bed, "Sure is dark in here..." he mumbled, walking up to the window to look into it.

Max pushed aside the curtains just to reveal nothing but white fog outside, "Oh, that must've been why there was no light..." he mumbled, touching the cold window. Maybe it's too cold to be outside at the moment he thought, walking out of the room, grabbing his teddy bear on his way. Max was going to search for Jasper. He knew that yelling out Jasper's name again would be a bit hazardous since he still didn't know if the mansion was completely empty. If Jasper, a ghost, would know that mansion, maybe other ghosts and spirits are still lingering around. He thought again, doing his best not to make any noise while walking in the hallways. He never realized how dark and eerie the place looked, he didn't care the night before since he was too tired to. Now he just wanted to find a light switch.

He checked roughly every room in the mansion, finally giving up after finding ten similar-looking rooms in a row. Max knew that he wouldn't be finding Jasper anywhere upstairs, so he went downstairs. After he checked downstairs, he was left disappointed that no ghost was found. Now he just questioned his sanity, but he was not going to give up yet, Jasper had to be real. How else would he be able to find a large mansion in an island? Big coincidence?

His last destination was the bunker. So, he made his way to the main door, kicking the door open just to be hit by the too cool breeze outside. He now wasn't able to feel his face anymore. Max couldn't see anything because of the fog, so he basically circulated the mansion until he found a large rusted trapdoor on the ground. He opened it and saw Jasper browsing in the vast array of canned foods and wine.

"Jasper? What're you doing?" He said walking down the steps to reach his ghostly friend. Jasper tensed up and turned around, "Oh, you're awake! I don't realize you were such an early bird," he chuckled, smiling broadly, "I wanted to make you breakfast as a surprise, but now you're awake and I haven't even picked what meat you liked. Are you vegetarian?" He asked afterwards, "No, I'm not." Max replied, walking over to the shelves filled with canned goods. Jasper smiled even more, "Great! Now pick a meat." Max somehow felt like what Jasper was saying was wrong and awkward, but he chose a type of meat anyways, "Um... Chicken?" A can of chicken noodle soup fell onto his head and landed on the ground, rolling towards his feet and stopping once it touched his shoes. Jasper immediately apologized afterwards over and over, even after hearing Max repeatedly forgiving him.