Chapter 13 - food war

Bonus Chapter: thanks for 4K reads!

[ this was written before chapter 12, so some jokes will be outdated/modified ]
———
Darkness spread across the camp, little splatters of white filled the sky, and a small crescent-shaped moon hovered above sleepy peak. The sun wasn't present, and so was the sea blue sky, it was just an inky black void. There was darkness everywhere, as far as the eye can see. Suddenly, out of the nowhere, a certain meteor landed from the sky to the ground hard, causing a loud explosion to sound afterwards.

Everybody heard the noise, but went back to sleep afterwards. Nobody really wanted to explore the woods when it was midnight, not to mention all of the possible predators lingering around at night. Although, there was a certain camper who was curious as to what caused the noise, so they planned on discovering it. Max, the young camper who decided to find the source of the noise, got up and shook his friend Nikki, who was still fast asleep and did not have any will to do anything stupendous at the moment.

"Nikki, wake up!" He whispered, afraid that he'll wake up David, who slept soundly beside him, or Gwen, who slept on the other bed across them. It was cold earlier in the night, so he convinced Nikki to go sleep with him in the counselor's cabin. Gwen happily let them in. Although, she told them to sleep in David's bed earlier since it were more spacey than hers. Nikki stirred and kept on trying to push away Max's hands. Eventually, she gave in and woke up, groggily looking at her friend Max, "What?" She whined, sitting up as she rubbed her eyes, "I heard something outside..." Max whispered, expecting Nikki to be up with the adventure. Turns out she wasn't at all.

"Maybe it was just Quartermaster doing..., shit." She yawned, laying down again on the bed, "No it wasn't, I heard it! It was a loud explosion!" He whispered with more volume, "Like... like... um... Like this! BOOM!" he tried to imitate an item exploding with his hand gestures, but that just made Nikki look even more confused and uninterested. Max huffed and grabbed her wrist, pulled her up and hopped off the bed while Nikki climbed off the bed slowly. When landing, Max's feet made a loud,

Thump!

startling Nikki, "Quick, before someone else reaches to it before we do!" He exclaimed, grabbing Nikki's wrist once again and running outside.

David, on the other hand, was awoken by the loud noise that was made by Max when he hopped off the bed. He looked around the room and saw no sign of the two campers. He was about to go back to bed, but was interrupted when he heard footsteps outside, followed with Max's booming voice afterwards. David walked up to the window just in time to see Max holding Nikki's hand, running into the woods. The redheaded co counselor widened his eyes and hastily put on his shoes before running after the curious campers.

***

"I smell smoke..." Nikki mumbled, trying to keep up with Max. Previously, she had yanked her hand out of Max's grip, so all she had to do now is to keep up with him, she just wished this to be all over so she could go back to sleep, "Maybe that's from the thing that fell!" Max gasped, suddenly running more quicker than before, Nikki followed reluctantly.

Meanwhile, David was running through the woods as fast as he could, following the smell of smoke, along with Max's loud voice, "You gotta be fucking kidding me... I wake up and the first thing I have to do is to search for kids IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAMN FOREST?!" He yelled, expressing his anger. He stopped running and covered his face with his hands, groaning loudly, "I need to find a new job..." he sighed and continued to run deeper into the forest, guided only by the voice of a child and the smell of smoke.