chapter 4

Okay guys thanx for all the feedbackk!! They are really helping me strive to know where this story will eventually go!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Who is she?” I asked, surprisingly in a calm voice. He seemed to visibly relax, which made me smile. Well almost.

“I think her name was Helen or something. From last night.” He scrunched up his face in confusion as I bit my lip. He didn’t even know her name.

“Um, are you talking about Holly?” I asked, shaking slightly. He looked at me more confused and I sighed deeply. “She’s like the head cheerleader of our school. Long blonde hair, big boobs. Ring a bell?” I asked sarcastically, waiting for the ‘ding’ to ring in his head.

After a moment, something seemed to click in his head, as he nodded vigorously. “Yeah, I guess it’s her.” He looked torn, like he couldn’t believe he got a girl pregnant, or maybe because he could hardly remember it.

“What makes you believe you got her pregnant?” I asked suspiciously.

He looked around the room, focusing on the dishes set in front of us, as I glared daggers in his head. “I-I don’t think we used a condom.”

“Oh!” I whispered, thinking about all the possible scenarios. If he did get her pregnant, would she keep it? What if she is pregnant, but Matt’s not the father. It’s not like she hasn’t slept with the whole of the schools population. I snicker in my head because she is one dumb slut. But, maybe she’s not pregnant. I looked at Matt, and he seemed to be thinking hard too. “What if she’s on the pill? It’s very common for most female teenagers to be on it.” I suggested, thinking of more ways to add hope to this dire situation.

“She might be. But how do I know if she’s on it? It’s not like I can ask her. She’d be heaps suspicious.” I nodded my head in agreement and then shrugged hopelessly.

“I guess you’re going to have to be upfront with her. Let her know what happened and see if she will take a pregnancy test or something.” I felt sorry for him, really I did, but my heart has just been shattered as well. Even though I know he doesn’t know how I really feel for him, I just don’t know if I can be around him right now. “You should find Joe. He might know what to do.” I got down from the counter, not knowing what to do, so I just left him there, staring out of the window. Well, it’s his fault. He got himself into the mess; he can find a way out. So, why do I feel like shit for?

I walked into my dad’s office. He looked up in surprise, but smiled and told me to take a seat. “What’s up?” He asked, putting his pen down, giving me his full attention.

“Well, at school, we were asked to pick a place to do work experience and I was thinking of working with you at the courts.” I stated, waiting for him to say yes.

He seemed to take his sweet time, so I looked at the desk, where I saw papers filled with court cases, proceedings, pictures of evidence, I assume and a whole lot of gibberish I didn’t understand. “It’s actually pretty boring. You won’t be able to do anything besides sit in the proceedings, where pretty much nothing happens for hours at end. Sometimes, you won’t be allowed to be present, and you might be bored wondering around the courthouse.” I shrugged my shoulders and smiled expectantly. “Well, I guess it might be nice to have a family member around. But you aren’t getting any special privileges because you’re my daughter okay?” He asked.

“I’ll change my name if it’s of any convenience.” I smiled sarcastically.

“Yeah, yeah, but don’t give me a bad name.” I went to get up, obviously assuming the conversation was over, when he beckoned for me.