chapter 21

Hey guys! Thanks for all the comments and votes :)

this has been edited  by Kate Dimka

****

“So, how long has it been since you called Lia?” I asked Dan, still lying down on the uncomfortable makeshift bed.

He looked up at the sound of my voice, a smile of amusement present on his lips. “About half an hour…” He had a thoughtful look on his face as he continued to mutter “…and I really don’t like girls who are always running late.”

I rolled my eyes but then something in the back of my mind came forward. It had been bugging me ever since I had wakened. “Honestly Dan, how did I end up in here?”

He looked down, fumbling with his hands as I took in a deep breath. “Are you sure you really want to know?”

For a second, I became nervous and scared. I mean, what if it was something fatal? I didn’t want to die. I was too young. So, taking a deep breath, I willed my heart rate to slow down, something that proved difficult to achieve. “Yeah, I want to know,” I whispered hoarsely.

“Well, I don’t know how to tell you this, but…” He scratched the back of his head nervously before looking me straight in the eye “…you’ve got Mono.”

“No, you’re joking. Tell me the truth, Dan,” I demanded, looking away from his intense and curious gaze to the bright white ceiling.

“Rain, I’m uh… really sorry, but that’s the truth. You’ve got Mono. I mean, it’s not fatal or anything. The nurse said that you’re pretty much past the worst stages and that in a week, maybe more, your immune system should tackle it down.” Dan elaborated while I shut my eyes. There was no way in hell that I had Mono. No fricken way!

Unless… No Rain, you can’t think like that.

I could feel my heart racing at the new revelation. If Matt was the only person that I’d kissed recently, that meant that he was the one who gave it to me. But that also meant someone had given it to him, too. I wouldn’t put it past any of those sluts he kept around (well, now he didn’t) to be the ones spreading it. Oh God! What have I done? How could I have kissed him knowing that he might have come from making out with some Mono-infected whore?

A rational part of my brain was telling me that I couldn’t have known. It wasn’t like I could have told him to take a swipe test for any diseases beforehand. That would have been a mood kill for sure. Yet, another part of my brain told me that I shouldn’t have kissed him regardless of how either of us was feeling. It wasn’t right. Not with Joe pretty much forbidding such a relationship.

Oh God. Now I had to think of Joe, too. What would he do when he found out I had Mono? I mean, I didn’t know if he even knew what it was, but I’m sure as soon as he realised, he’d kill me. Well, at the very least, he’d demand to know who I had been kissing. Then he’d kill me. Shit!

“You all right? You haven’t said anything in a while.” I briefly heard Dan’s voice as he interrupted my train of thought.

I put a shaking hand to my heart and I gave him a quick nod. “I, well, I don’t know how it’s possible…” I trailed off, thinking of Matt’s mouth, and hot tongue, on mine. Oh no, now it was like an infected mouth that I could definitely not go near any time soon.

“Well uh, if you don’t understand how it works, it’s pretty much when one person swaps their spit with—”

“I know what Mono is,” I interrupted angrily, though I was losing my voice. “I-I just don’t know how I could have gotten it,” I lied. I mean, I couldn’t have other people knowing about Matt and me. For all I know, if Dan found out, he could go straight to Joe.