one

꧁*。Omerettá *。゚꧂

"Alright, I think that's everything."

"Wait, one more thing!"

Picking up the LED light controller from my bed, I turn them on to the white settings. Stepping back, I take the entire room in and exhale. After almost two hours of decorating, my best friend Brooklyn and I finally finished setting up my dorm room.

I never would've thought Howard University would be my home for the next four years...

"Damnnnn I really like it. Thank you again for coming here to help me get things set up Lyn."

"That's what friends do!!! You know I had to spend some time with my bestie before I go to Caliiii!"

My smile fades with her last sentence as I remember she was hopping on a plane and leaving for good in less than 24 hours. I didn't want to admit it but my best friend leaving me made me feel so heartbroken. We always talked about leaving D.C together but I never thought she would do it this quickly. She was all I had, literally.

"I still can't get over you going thousands of miles away to UCLA."

Brooklyn plops down on my bed stating, "I told you you should've applied there. We could've been roommates!"

"You know I don't have the money to go there. I barely got in here at Howard..."

"UCLA isn't THAT expensive Rettá, I know we could've worked something out."

"Says the one whose parents paid their entire 4 years," I mumble while folding my last towel.

Brooklyn and I have been friends for almost 4 years and I love her to death. However, when it comes to money, we have and probably always will have very different views.

You see, Brooklyn's mother is a big time celebrity OBGYN and her father is a neurosurgeon, owning 3 offices. They live in Kalorama which is the same place where the Obamas live. So, money has never been a problem for her.

You would think Brooklyn would go to some fancy private high school but her parents wanted her to be with "regular kids."

I don't think they ever thought she would be best friends with the foster kid at school though...

"Uhn uhn, we not about to argue before we part ways. Have you at least started thinking about how you're going to pay for school next semester?"

I shake my head and sigh. "I don't even want to think about it right now; just taking one semester at a time. I have enough for this semester but...I'm going to find something soon hopefully."

"You know my parents would pay for you Rettá."

"Brooklyn..."

She's bluffing as usual; her parents barely like me! They just put up with me because of their daughter.