Part 8

Peter POV

"Okay, just get it out of you. That's it. You're doing great".

"You're not HELPING" she groans before vomiting again. I just hold her hair back with one hand and rest my other one on her back.

"I'm sorry! I really am doing my best!" I say, rubbing her back and just waiting for this to be over.

She finally sits up against the bathroom wall, paler than before. She looks so weak and the circles around her eyes are darker. She really is getting worse.

"I am well and truly, screwed" she coughs, her eyes still closed.

I flush the toilet and help her stand up. I go to lift her so she doesn't have to walk but she pushes my arms away and walks herself. She slowly gets back into the bed.

I perch beside her and hold her hand.

"Hey look, it's my friend" Ellie says pointing at the TV.

"Another sighting of this identity known as 'Dusk' has occurred. He was seen free running across some rooftops in Midtown earlier today. We will have more for you as the story develops".

I turn it off as she sighs.

"I will get him. Once this whole debacle is done" she mutters.

"You shouldn't be thinking about that" I tell her, squeezing her hand.

"What should I be thinking about then?" She huffs.

"Uh.........m-me?" I stammer, immediately regretting what I said. Even though we've been together a month and a bit, she still makes me nervous and I say the most stupid things.

However, she isn't offended. She's actually smiling slightly.

"Maybe I should, Parker. You always keep my mind busy, I guess".

I smile softly back at her, and she sits up.

"You know, Peter, I am sorry. For the way I've been acting. I'm just stupid and.....well just stupid. You're a great person and I've been treating you like shit. I'm just really sorry" she says, taking a deep breath when she's done and waiting anxiously for a reply. I stop to think for a second.

"Oh come on.... say something at least! Now I'm just embarrassed. Oh my god that was cheesier than a no.3 from Delmar's. I'm so sorry, AGAIN" she says, squeezing her eyes shut.

"Hey! I just wanted to think of the perfect response! It wasn't cheesy. Don't apologize. You've just been acting like your normal self, which isn't a bad thing by the way! I love it!" I reassure her.

"I don't know. I feel like once this is over I need to go on vacation or something. Maybe to....." she goes on but I zone out completely.

I notice something off about her. A lump forms in my throat and I get hot cold shivers.

"Peter? Peter?! Are you okay?" she asks, before coughing violently. She's still really sick.

"Uh....me? Yeah I'm fine! I just....um.... thought I had homework but remembered that I did it yesterday. I'm okay!" I panic, my voice cracking.

She looks both unconvinced and unimpressed.

"Parker, the color literally drained from your face. Are you sure you're okay?" she says, squeezing my hand.

"Yeah yeah. How about Netflix? What are you feeling?" I say hurriedly, desperate to change the subject.

She rolls her eyes at me, but not with as much enthusiasm as usual because of how weak she is.