CHAPTER 1

The moon was unusually bright that night. It glowed, creating a looming feeling to circulate from the buildings of the city below. The shadows were darker. The moon was brighter.

Pant..... pant.... huff.....

All of the lights in the apartment buildings were extinguished, a more eerie feeling hovering in the air because of it. Despite that, there were still cars driving about the narrow streets. Typical city. The stoplight changed from red to green, and more cars whizzed by.

Huff.... wheeze..... cough...

The girl who stood on the sidewalk was rather short. She brushed a lock of her orange hair behind her ear as her hazel eyes sparked with distress and worriment. Body tense, she stood at the crosswalk and pressed the cross button. Across the street, the red glowing letters that spelled STOP didn't flash off.

Huff.... pant.....

"HEY, THERE YOU ARE!" Barked a male voice. The girl stiffened at the voice and spammed the cross button. Footsteps. More panting. Finally, a glowing picture of a man walking signified that the girl could cross. Despite her weary muscles, she ran across the street, footsteps echoing into the night. Her hazel orbs darted around, trying to find a place where she could escape the chase. They fell onto a narrow path between two buildings.

Through the passageway she fled. She ran and ran, the shadows overwhelming her. Her eyes caught glint of a light at the end of the passageway, getting closer and closer.... until....

Dead end. It was a dead end. The alley was cut of by a towering brick wall. To her left, there was a steel door. A small light was hanging above it, barely lighting the shadows. The sound of footsteps rang in her ears.

"YOU CAN'T RUN!" Frantically turning her head, she saw the man who had been chasing her. He wore a red bandana around his head like a ninja, his attire was a simple t-shirt and jeans, although both were slightly ripped and dirty. Somehow in the darkness, the girl was able to see his honey colored eyes shine in the darkness with a look of anything but.

She furiously grabbed the doorknob and twisted it with all of her might with no prevail. She was trapped.

The man walked closer and closer, her heart beating faster with each step. She backed up more and more until her back was pressed up against the brick wall that was keeping her in. It's over..... It's all over.....

The man crept closer, so close to the point where his unpleasant breath tingling the girl's face. "I've got you now, girly."

The ginger's knees turned to jelly as she let out a small whimper. It really is over.....

"Ohohoho, really now? I think not!" Shouted a teasing feminine voice that echoed through the alleyway. The man turned around in alarm, his eyes widening in shock. The red head girl was just able to peek out from above his shoulder to see the person who had spoken.

There at the entrance to the alleyway was a girl. Her brown eyes twinkled mischievously. She wore an all black attire which included darkly colored combat boots. Her long brown hair and dark green cloak she wore moved in sync with the wind.