15 • The Diner

"But what exactly are they saying?"

Truth be told, I didn't really want to know what they were saying. I knew I wasn't ugly or anything, but compared to Jisung I looked incredibly unimpressive and bland. He looked like an Angel and I looked pretty average.

I had jet black hair that reached about half way down my back. His skin was white as snow, whereas mine was pretty well tanned, an olive skin. If you looked closely, I had a fair amount of freckles scatterer around my skin.

Currently, I looked pretty bad. My hair was pretty frizzy and messy, from sleeping without brushing or straightening it afterwards. My eyes had dark bags under them, and looked pretty drained and lifeless.

I thought about telling the girls that Jisung had kidnapped me but I assumed they'd think I was pulling a prank or just wouldn't care. Or maybe they'd be jealous.

One of them was now heading towards us and I felt my social awkwardness flare up. She was stunning, long blonde hair all the way down her back and big blue eyes that made her look like a cartoon character. I wondered what Jisung thought of her.

"Hello, folks!" She said cheerfully, bouncing up to us.

I already didn't like her. She refused to look at me, instead keeping dead eye contact locked with Jisung. He was clearly still embarrassed from whatever they had been saying about him.

"Hello."

He sounds even more socially awkward than me. I couldn't help but find it kind of adorable.

"What can I get you?"

"I'll just have a cup of coffee. What do you want, Nattie?"

I wanted to run. The girl finally looked towards me with annoyance present on her face. I decided to just play it cool and act as if she didn't bother me, although she really did.

"Pancakes please."

"Are you sure you don't want anything else?" She asked Jisung.

There was a clear tone of flirtation in her voice. He declined and she headed off, still with a hop in her walk. I looked around the diner, trying to see if there were any clear exits in this place.

"You okay?" Jisung asked, lying his legs across the seat and seeming to make himself at home.

"Well, I mean, not really."

"That's a shame," He said in a monotonous voice.

"You said you'd answer some of my questions."

He sighed and looked annoyed. "I've got a headache so please don't ask too many."

"Right." I began to think of what question I should start with. There were a lot of good questions that I felt desperate to have an answer to, but I wanted one that he would actually answer. "Do other humans know about vampires?"

"Some do."

There was silence. "Right, okay. Well did Bram Stoker?"

"How the hell should I know?" Jisung asked, a clear tone of annoyance in his voice. "I mean, it is likely he met one that told him of us - or maybe it was a massive coincidence. It doesn't really matter, does it?"

The girl was back, quickly placing my plate down and then turning her attention to Jisung. He gave her a warm smile and took the cup from her, saying a quick thanks. He went to turn his attention back to me when she spoke.

"Do you have a girlfriend?"

His eyes widened and he looked pretty scared. "Excuse me?"

"I was wondering if you wanted to go out tonight or something?" She said with that same flirtatious tone, while twirling her hair between her fingers. Any normal boy would have melted under her gaze, but Jisung wasn't a normal boy.

"That's sweet but no thanks." He turned his attention back to me, waiting for her to leave.

"Is this your girlfriend then?"

There was a pause and then Jisung finally spoke, "Yes."

I felt myself glowing red, it didn't help that he took hold of my hand and kissed it. I would have said something, maybe have slapped him but she seemed satisfied enough that Jisung wasn't interested and walked off.

"Let go of my hand."

He did, leaning back in his seat again and sipping on his coffee. I wondered what the rules for vampires and eating was in our world. I had seen stuff where eating made them physically ill, or where it didn't really matter if they did or not.

I decided I had more important questions to ask him, so I just left that one. I wanted to know what his intentions with me were, if I was in serious danger or what.

I put my hand over my mouth so no one would be able to read my lips, whispering as quietly as I could, "Are you going to kill me?"

I knew that Jisung had amazing hearing. He had managed to understand what those girls had been saying with no real effort, and they were across the diner from us. He clearly heard me, looking slightly startled at my question.

"Natalie-"

"Please answer my question," I said with a serious tone. I didn't know how I should act with him, if I should go tell those girls that he had kidnapped me or just go with him. How much danger am I really in? "You said you would."

He met my eyes and I met his. It was one of the first times we had made proper eye contact for more than a couple of seconds. In this moment, his eyes looked pretty human.

They were so incredibly deep and warm. From afar, they could look pretty cold and sterile. Maybe they changed. The more you looked into them, the more detail you could see in them. It felt as if I was falling into them. It felt like I could drown in them if I wasn't careful, or if I looked too long.

When he looked into my eyes, it felt like he could read my every thought. It made me want to look away but I felt completely unable to, I was stuck. I was desperately searching them for something, like an answer to my question.

"I said don't ask too many questions," He started. I felt all hope leave my body because I knew what he was saying to me, I wasn't going to get an answer. "My head is thumping-"

"I deserve an answer," I said sternly, feeling tears beginning to swell up in my eyes.

I felt silly to be almost crying. I knew it wouldn't help the situation. All this frustration that had been gathering in me over the last couple of days was finally getting too much for me to repress and ignore. I felt like I was going to burst, to explode.

I raised my hand to my face, trying to wipe any tears off it so he wouldn't see how upset I was. He had obviously noticed how upset I was getting, reaching his hand out to me but I quickly pulled back.

"Natalie, I'm-"

"I don't want excuses," I told him. I gave up trying to stop the tears, just letting them pour out of my eyes like a river. "Just tell me."

"I can't-"

"Yes you can!" I shouted, feeling some eyes on us now. People probably thought we were having some silly relationship argument, not that he had kidnapped me and was perhaps planning to kill me.

"You don't understand," He said. There was a certain tone of arrogance in his voice, like he was annoyed at me. "You couldn't possibly understand."

"Make me understand. Try. That's all I'm asking from you, Jisung."

"I think you should stop crying and just eat your food."

He wasn't taking me seriously at all. In fact, he was belittling me and treating me like some child throwing a tantrum.

I stood up. Jisung quickly looked up at me, the panic being clear in his eyes along with clear annoyance. "Sit down."

"Go fuck yourself."

🌙

I really like Jisung so far in this book he's super fun to write sksks please remember to let me know what you think!💖