Chapter One

Spring 1957

"Where's my favorite girl?!" I heard his voice echo throughout the mansion. I could tell by his voice, that he was in good spirits.

"I'm right here Elvis." I called out, pushing my way through the kitchen.

There he was, wearing the same big grin he always had when he would return home to Graceland. We both laughed as I ran towards him and jumped into his waiting arms. He embraced me as if he hadn't seen me in a thousand years.

"I missed you so much Leila, my special girl." He said squeezing me tighter.

"I missed you too E. It's too damn quiet here without you and the guys causing a catastrophe every five minutes." I laughed pulling away to look up at him. I was shorter than him by quite a bit. I was 5'3 and I knew I wouldn't be getting any taller.

He cupped my face and looked as if he was inspecting me. He wore an expression I couldn't read. I began to get worried. "Is it just me, or do you look different?" He asked tilting my head different angles, showing a new look of disbelief.

"Different?" I asked confused. I thought I looked exactly the same as I did before he had left two months ago.

"Yeah, a good different though. Don't worry Sattnin." He reassured me and kissed my face multiple times.

The guys came in dragging Elvis' suitcases and bags. Let's just say Elvis was never a light packer. Even if he was going somewhere for one night, he'd pack his entire closet. Not exaggerating.

"Man, E. Would it kill ya to pack a little lighter? It's a real bitch dragging your entire room everywhere we go." Red complained. Something he did a lot of these days.

"Whatever man. I always wanna be prepared." Elvis said.

"Prepared for what? God damn E. You're killing me." Red groaned and sank into the sofa.

Elvis didn't bother responding and simply rolled his eyes. He gestured me to follow him.

I trailed behind him as we went upstairs. Once we got in his room we lounged on his bed and he filled me in on what he did on tour, who he met, and how much he missed home.

"So how's school been?" He asked as he rolled onto his stomach and put his head in his hands and looked up at me. He was waiting to hear about how things have been on my side.

School wasn't great, and at home I was lonely. I usually spent a lot of time with grandma Dodger and Gladys. Vernon starting taking Gladys out recently, to see friends or relatives, and just to get out of the house. He wanted to take her mind off of all the worrying she did while Elvis was away.

So that left me and Grandma to do whatever we wanted. We often sat in her room watching TV, and baked cookies and cinnamon rolls. Sometimes we would sit out back in the afternoons and she would tell stories while we sipped iced tea.

"Oh it's fine. Everything is going fine." I said trying to smile.

"Yeah right. I know that look. You know I told you, you could stop going to public school and I'll hire somebody to teach you here."

I sighed. He always brought this up. "Elvis it's fine. It's almost graduation anyway."

"Well there's no need for you to be unhappy for even just a second." He stared at me for a moment, trying to read me.

"I'll be graduating in three months. It'll be over soon. I can manage." I said trying to assure him. I didn't need to put something extra on his plate to worry about.

"You're sure?" He asked raising his eyebrows. "It ain't them girls bothering you still, is it?"

"No, I mean yeah. But it's no big deal. I can manage." I repeated.

"Of course you can, little one." He sat up and started reaching into his pocket. I couldn't stop the grin that was forming on my face.

"Since you've kept your promise to be here every time I come home," He pulled a small blue velvet box out. "I've kept my promise to get you a gift every time I go away." He said as he placed the beautiful box into my waiting hands.

I opened it slowly to reveal the most beautiful earrings I've ever seen. I gasped at the sight.

"Are these real diamonds?" I asked. The sun shining through the window made them sparkle as I turned them slightly.

"Yup." He answered, flashing his crooked grin. He took them and put them on for me, and smiled.

"You look perfect. Go see."

I went over to his mirror and looked at my reflection. They were so beautiful, and a slight contrast to the simple blue dress I had on.

"I knew they were yours the moment I saw em." He said as he stood behind me. He wrapped his arms around me, and we stood like that for a while. I gazed at him through the mirror. The sunlight caught his eyes and I swear he had the bluest eyes I'd ever seen. He stared back at me with a look I couldn't read. What was he thinking about?

"We're home! Where's my boy?" We heard from downstairs. Elvis and I smiled and made our way downstairs.

Elvis ran into Gladys' arms as she teared up. "Oh my boy, I've missed you so much."

"I missed you too mama. More than you can think." He said tearing up himself.

Elvis and Gladys had a strong bond. They shared everything with each other. Whenever Elvis had a problem, he would go to her about it. She was protective over him. He was her only son after all. Back when we were little, other kids and even a few of his cousins would call Elvis a 'mama's boy' and poke fun at him for being so close to her. Gladys wouldn't have it and told Elvis that the other kids simply didn't understand, and told him not to feel bad.

Gladys Presley is a very wise woman. I swear she knew what to do in every situation. You could always count on her for valuable advice. She's very much like a mother to me. She's treated me as her own daughter these passed five years and has taught me many things. She always made sure I was eating right, getting enough sleep, and always making sure I was happy. Every night she would come into my room, checking on me before I went to sleep, and a few more times throughout the night. She's the most caring person I know.

"Good to have you back home, son." Vernon said giving Elvis a hug patting his back.

"Always good to be back daddy."

"Well let's eat some dinner before the party starts!" Gladys said as we followed her into the kitchen.

We ate lasagna and salad for dinner. The guys and Elvis shared their funny stories about tour. It always felt good to hear laughter in the house after two long months of quiet. Elvis always brought happiness and laughter, and it seemed like he took it with him when he left again. I learned to live in the moment whenever he was home. There was hardly a dull moment during dinner that night. I wish it could always be this way. We all wished it could.