Chapter Four

I was getting ready for bed when Elvis burst through my bedroom door looking flustered.

"What is it Elvis?" I asked slowly walking to him.

"I feel like," he swallowed. "I feel like I need to be with you right now. I feel scared and I don't know why."

I reached up to touch his cheek.

"You're okay E. Have you been getting enough sleep lately?' I asked concerned when I noticed the faint dark circles under his eyes.

"Not really. That damn insomnia's been acting up again. Just when I thought it was going away." He answered.

"Has something been bothering you lately? I've noticed you've been spacing out a lot ever since you got home."

A look of fear crossed his face, as if he had been caught. My concern grew as he tried to brush it off.

"Its nothing. Just have some things on my mind and I don't know what to do about em."

"What are they?" I asked. "Maybe I can help you figure it all out."

"You can't." He said running his fingers through his hair.

"Why not?"

"It's something I need to figure out myself."

"I can still help." I chimed.

"I don't know Leila. I wouldn't know where to begin." He sighed.

"Is it something bad?"

"No." He paused as if he was thinking about something. "It's just that things have changed since I got back."

"What things?" I pressed. I couldn't understand why he was having such a hard time talking to me about it. We told each other everything.

"Just different things. I really don't understand what I'm feeling right now." He said strained. I felt like he was distancing himself from me.

I tried my best to understand that maybe he didn't want to talk about whatever it is just yet. I could only hope whatever it is will resolve soon.

"Whatever it is, I hope you can figure it all out." I said.

"Yeah me too." He said simply.

"Wanna sleep in here tonight?" I asked. Maybe he just felt lonely and needed company. Gladys and Vernon went to Patsy's house to spend the night. They were helping her and her husband pack their things to move to their new house. Elvis usually went to Gladys for help but she wasn't here. So I was the one to take care of him tonight.

"Please? I really don't wanna be alone tonight." He said.

"Okay I'm gonna go make some hot chocolate. Want some?

"Yes! You know how I like it." He loved it with tons of whipped cream on top.

"Okay I'll be back." I smiled.

I stood in the kitchen waiting for the water to warm up, when Jerry came in.

"Hey Leila, is Elvis alright?" He asked. "He looked a little off before he went upstairs."

"He's fine. He's rooming with me tonight." I said reassuring him. Everyone in this household was always concerned for Elvis' well-being. His mother and me particularly. Even though the guys didn't really know how to console him, they still made sure he was okay.

"Okay good. You two have a good night." He said taking a soda from the fridge and walking out.

When I got back to my room I saw Elvis lying in bed looking comfortable and finally back to his cheerful mood.