Chapter Six

After about a week of trying to convince Elvis to still let me go to the dance with Johnny, my work finally paid off. We argued about it endlessly everyday for at least an hour. The way his eyes rolled when I brought up the subject was hilarious. After all, my plan was to drive him as crazy as possible to get him to agree. Vernon finally grew irritated by our constant bickering and told Elvis I was going to that dance weather he liked it or not.

Elvis took me shopping for my dress and heels at a store downtown. The clerks recognized us immediately and completely closed the store so we could shop privately. It took me an hour to pick out a beautiful baby blue dress and matching heels. Over half the girls in my school could not afford a dress like this. Not even some of the richest, like Amber Wilson for example. I hated to sound so conceited, since I knew exactly how it was to be poor. Honestly, if the only thing Elvis could afford was a dress made from rags, I would wear it with pride.

Of course though, Elvis had to bitch and moan about how the dress was "too short" and told me I should find a longer one.

"Do you really wanna be here for another hour?" I asked. I knew he was getting hungry. He hadn't stopped complaining about it for about half of the time we've been here, and it was starting to annoy me. He sat on one of the chairs next to the dressing rooms where I was trying on dress after dress for his judgment.

"How about I just buy out the entire store so we can just go eat already." He said rubbing his stomach as it growled loud enough for even me to hear it. "I could really go for a Burger right now."

I rolled my eyes, it was like shopping with a toddler.

"I'm getting this dress and that's that." The look on his face was disapproving. "Want me to call daddy and tell him what you're doing?" I tested. He waved vaguely acting as if he didn't care. Ha! He thinks I won't do it!

"Ma'am?" I turned to the short middle aged woman. "Do you have a telephone I could use?"

She nodded. "Yes miss, right behind the desk."

Elvis' eyes widened in surprise. "Alright!" He shouted, raising his hands in defeat. "You can get it."

I smirked at him and he gave me an annoyed look. "I win."

After leaving the store we stopped at the diner to feed this bottomless pit known as the king of rock n roll. We stuffed our faces with burgers and french fries, and downed Pepsi like it was going out of style.

"So why the hell are you so dead set on going to the dance with that Johnny kid?" He asked ad he stole a fry from my plate. I slapped his hand away. He ate all his up and he thought he could take some of mine, yeah right!

"Because like I said it would be lame to show up without a date." I explained, for the hundredth time this week.

"So it's kinda like businesses right?"

"Yeah," I shrugged "something like that." I dipped a a handful of fries in ketchup and stuffed them in my mouth.

"You have no interest in this guy whatsoever?"

"No." I answered swallowing down my food.

Elvis looked at me and grinned, covering his mouth trying not to laugh.

"What?" I asked looking around.

He busted out laughing. "You have something on your cheek."

"What is it?" I asked wiping my cheek with my hand, but nothing came off.

"You're completely missing it, here lemme get it." He chuckled grabbing a fry and wiping my cheek with it. I saw it was ketchup and Elvis stuck the fry in his mouth.