Chapter Eight

Elvis and I were both silent as we sat in the car at the park. There was no one around, everyone in the neighborhood was probably sound asleep. I stared straight ahead into the night sky, seeing a few falling stars here and there. I was zoned out making random wishes on each star.

We hadn't uttered a single word to each other since we left Maggie's, and I'm guessing we came here to talk. Otherwise we would've driven straight home. Elvis just sat there silent as ever, staring straight ahead like I was. My hands were starting to get cold from the chilly air, I held them up to my mouth attempting to warm them. The soft sound of the radio was the only sound heard, and I couldn't help but smirk at Jerry Lee Lewis' voice.

Another star fell and I silently wished Elvis would talk to me, or at least look at me.

I wasn't nervous, nor hopeful. I guess I was just ready for all this bull shit to be over. We were going to be together, or not. I didn't really care which one it would be, I just wanted Elvis back. I wasn't going to be there first one to talk though, and I knew he expected me to. I was trying to prove him wrong. After all, he kissed me first right?

He began tapping on the steering wheel, and hummed the same annoying tune he would always use to irritate me. I knew he was just trying to get me to talk, but I wouldn't let him win. I stared straight ahead still nonchalantly. The charade lasted a good ten minutes before I finally had enough.

"Why don't you say something?" I demanded turning to him. He let out a soft chuckle at my outburst.

"Now I've got your attention."

"You've had my attention all night." I stated. "I've just been waiting for you." I said quietly, watching the guilt form on his face.

"I would've shown up sooner. I mean I went to the dance and parked outside, and it was over. Then I went to Maggie's and sat outside the whole time before I finally went in."

"You mean you were outside Maggie's house that entire hour?! Why didn't you come in sooner?!" I asked. He didn't say anything for a while and I grew impatient. I wish he would just tell me where we would go from here. I'm tired of trying to guess what he's thinking.

"I guess... I just didn't know what to say, Leila. I still don't know what to say..." He trailed off. What did he mean by that? Why does he always do this to me? He always says very little, and it left me to think of a million different scenarios in a matter of seconds.

"Just try your best." I told him, placing my hand on his arm for comfort.

He sighed leaning against the steering wheel, burying his face in his hands. He stayed quiet again, this time for a long time. A twinge of sadness hit me, even though I thought I'd be fine if he didn't want me a few minutes ago. The only thing I could think about was how we were changed after that kiss. It seemed to affect him too, bad or good, I had no idea at this point.

"You want to know the truth, Leila?" He finally spoke, but it came out as a whisper. He turned slightly, his head still resting on the steering wheel. He had a defeated expression. I only nodded, expecting the worst, yet hoping for the best.

He sat up straight, facing me fully. He took a deep breath, watching me closely.

"You're all I can think about anymore Leila. You're in my thoughts morning, noon, and night... Even in my dreams." He reached out and grasped my hand lightly, and continued. "I've tried fighting it, I tried so hard, Leila..." His voice broke slightly. "But I don't wanna fight it anymore, I don't wanna hide it. I love you so damn much, it hurts." He laughed softly. My heart rate increased when I heard him say he loved me, as if it were the first time. I knew now that he meant a different kind of love, the kind I did not yet know. There was no one else in the entire world I would rather experience this kind of love with for the first time. I was all too shocked to show any emotions. I just sat there with my mouth open slightly, repeating his words in my head over and over.