Chapter Ten

Having Red accompany me everywhere wasn't so bad. I mean his complaints were getting old, but it was better than sitting alone like an outcast in the cafeteria everyday. He was very serious about protecting me though.

While in class he sat in the back of the classroom bored as ever, watching over me like a hawk. We always got stares and often I was called princess. Apparently everyone thought Red was some sort of servant to me. I didn't bother explaining myself to anyone. Why should I?

Things were a little lonely without Maggie here. Elvis being Elvis, helped her and Jimmy with no hesitation. He gave them enough money to rent a small house, instead of the trailer in the run down trailer park they were originally going to stay. He also bought them furniture and clothes for their baby. They both protested but Elvis did it anyway. They were extremely grateful, and so was I. I cared for Maggie like a sister I never had.

Currently I was in maths class and I was bored as crap. I glanced back at Red, who looked just as bored as I was. I wanted to ditch school, I mean jeez most of the seniors did anyway. Feeling courageous I threw a pencil at Red to get his attention. He jumped in surprise and looked at me questioningly.

"Let's leave." I whispered loud enough for him to hear me. He raised his eyebrow.

I turned forward to see the teacher facing away from the class, absorbed in some romantic book she was reading. She didn't seem to notice the class talking loudly so I figured she wouldn't hear us leave. I stood up quickly and walked to the door and motioned to Red to follow. We successfully made it out without getting caught.

Elvis would kill us if he found out.

***

We took off to the park, since we couldn't really go home because Gladys and Vernon would ask questions. I was so sleepy, Elvis and I stayed on the phone almost all night. As I result I found myself dozing off against the tree Red and I were sitting under. I jumped awake quickly rubbing my face.

"Tired huh?" Red asked smirking.

I only rolled my eyes in response.

"I'm sure E has his ways of keeping you up all night on the phone." He laughed. I gasped and punched his shoulder.

"Ohhh you know I was only kidding."

I scoffed. "You're such a loser."

"Ouch." He played hurt, holding his hand over his chest.

I just laughed at him.

We settled into a silence and enjoyed the southern warmth. I was excited for summer, my favorite season. I couldn't wait for school to be over, and getting back to late nights and sleeping until the afternoon. To be honest I felt more alive at night, Elvis seemed to feel that way too.

"Truth or dare?" Red's voice chimed beside me.

"Truth."

"So when did you start to get the hots for E?" He asked picking at the grass.

"Did you decide to play this game just to ask me that question?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

I sighed. Red was never really subtle about anything, no matter how hard he tried to be.

"I suppose a while after he came home."

"Ah. The same time he did. Well, that's what he claims. I think he's liked ya since you two kissed that one night before graduation. It sure seemed to change him in some way."