Chapter Three

EDITED ON 5/30/2020

A/N:

Hi everyone! I completely forgot to post an author's note in the last two chapters, i'm gonna blame that on the fact that those two were pre-written and that i totally blanked on it. I'm going to try and make a writing schedule, but updates may be a bit irregular the next few weeks so i am sorry in advance. In addition to that i am looking at possibly posting this on Fanfiction.Net as well, so if you see this story on there know that it is probably me. I will update you on whether or not that happens in the next few days and what my username is on there as well. For now just enjoy this chapter and i will try to update again this weekend.

This story follows the Shadowhunters timeline with some changes in relationships and events due to those relationship changes.

Here you go:

Clary and Alec stepped through the portal and ended up in Clary's bedroom at the institute.

"What was that?" Clary asked as soon as the portal closed, turning to Alec, her eyes narrowed.

"What was what?" Alec asked, looking behind him. "That was a portal. You've been through one before."

Clary rolled her eyes. "All that whispering going on back there. Were you guys fighting?"

Alec sat on the edge of Clary's bed and sighed. "Let's talk after the funeral, okay?"

"No. If this is about me, I want to know." Clary put her hands on her hips and stood in front of Alec, glowering at him.

"Clary, please, for once just listen to me." Alec groaned. She didn't budge, or even acknowledge that he'd said anything.

"Tell. Me." Her eyes were glaring at him, full of determination, her hair looked as though it had been set ablaze and her lips were set in a firm line, jaw clenched.

Alec ran a hand over his face and then through his hair. "Magnus feels as though you might be experiencing some pretty strong feelings and you might not know how to handle them. We're aware that you don't really have anyone to lean on right now and there's this spell you might be interested in." He tried to word it as delicately as possible, but thought he'd just ended up sounding very patronizing, as if he were talking to a child or someone lesser than himself. He mentally face-palmed.

"What spell?" Clary dropped her hands from her hips and instead crossed her arms in front of her chest. Her expression lightened considerably, and she looked more curious than angry.

"There is a spell that can make you a Lightwood biologically." He told her slowly albeit a tad awkwardly.

Clary stepped back from Alec, shaking her head. It was like she'd shut herself down and had retreated into herself all within the same second. The girl that had been demanding information so passionately just a moment ago was gone. In her place was a little girl that wanted nothing more than for her mother to be there, to tell her everything was alright. Alec had no idea what to do for that girl.

"Clary, what's wrong?" Alec stood up and took a step towards her. She flinched back from him so hard that she bumped into her desk, causing the items on it to rattle. Her hand went to her side, where it had hit the desk, she hissed in pain rather than anger this time. Alec lifted his hands in surrender and took a step back though he remained standing. He watched her in worry as she dropped her hand and wrapped her arms around herself, as if she were trying to keep herself from falling apart entirely.

"I can't believe you want me to forget my mom, just like that." Clary said without any venom behind the words, the way she spoke was almost hollow. She tipped her chin down and her flaming curls curtained her face so that Alec could not see the tears that he was positive were present on her cheeks.