Chapter Forty Eight

EDITED 5/30/2020

The morning had gone relatively well thus far. Alec had woken up clutched in his husband's arms, head tucked under Magnus' chin and strong arms wrapped around his shoulders and waist. Madzie had not climbed into bed with them, which was an accomplishment on her part as since they had moved into the new house she often snuck in and wedged herself in between the two men in the middle of the night.

Alec struggled against Magnus' hold for a moment before his husband let him go with an irritated grumble and Alec rolled over to see Azazel watching him intently.

"You stayed awake all night?" Alec had asked, a hand dragging down his face as he woke up.

"I promised I would watch over you." Azazel told him. "Although I do admit that it was more for my own benefit. I wanted to ensure your safety for my own sanity."

Alec had given Azazel a small smile, stood up, patted his shoulder and disappeared into the bathroom with an armful of clean clothes.

Now the entire household and Catarina, Lily, Maia, Luke and Meliorn were in the kitchen. Alec had called the other five forty-five minutes prior to the gathering and asked them to come over. They were all sitting and standing around, watching Alec inquisitively.

"Last night after I was arrested by the former Inquisitor Horace Dearborn. The Consul Jia Penhallow interrupted my execution, brought me back to her office and offered me a position. She reversed my exile and asked me to become the Consul of the United States. I am now in charge of the Shadow World in the United States, I make the rules, I control the government and I take care of the Institutes. I have selected Lydia Branwell as my Inquisitor, Aline Penhallow will be the Head of the Downworld Cabinet at the New York Institute. Isabelle will be Head of the New York Institute. Every Institute in America will have a Downworld Cabinet policy implemented. They will meet biweekly to discuss issues within their territory. In addition, as Consul, I want to start a Downworld council. A representative from each species will be needed. I was hoping that Raphael, Maia, Meliorn and Tessa would be willing. Magnus and I already discussed, and we would rather one of us be home with our younger children."

"I'd be honored." Tessa agreed.

"Thank you, Consul Lightwood-Bane." Meliorn nodded.

"Sure." Maia shrugged.

"Okay." Raphael deadpanned.

"In addition to that," Alec continued. "I also want each representative to have two advisors. I had suggestions, not demands for these. Raphael, I thought perhaps Simon and Lily. Maia, Luke and someone else."

"Bat Velasquez." Maia offered.

Alec nodded. "Meliorn, I thought Helen Blackthorn."

"I'll appoint my friend Rose as well." Meliorn told him.

"Tessa, I thought Wesley and Catarina."

Tessa nodded, as did Wesley and Catarina.

"There is one more thing you all should probably know." Meliorn said slowly. "Jonathan Morgenstern was welcomed into the Seelie Court a few days ago by the former Queen. He killed her and left. I was elected King of the Seelie Court."

"Congratulations." Magnus told the new King. Everyone repeated the sentiment and Meliorn almost seemed to smile.

"Alright." Alec sighed. "With that out of the way, I need to get to the New York Institute. I'm making an address there in a few minutes."

Alec made a portal and took off, coming out at the steps in front of the Institute. Lydia and Jia were waiting for him there. He closed the portal behind him and walked up the few steps that it took for him to be standing in front of the two women.