Chapter Eleven

EDITED 5/30/2020

The picture above is a collage showing the four biological Lightwood Siblings: Alexander (Matthew Daddario) Clarissa (Catharine Daddario) Isabelle (Emeraude Toubia) and Max (Jack Fulton)

"Looks like Azazel's heading south." Alec called out to Jace as he approached him. They met at an interactive table in the ops room. "We just recovered four dead mundanes with his signature M.O."

"Okay." Jace sighed. "Let's go." He turned to go get suited up when the Inquisitor approached the Parabatai.

"To catch a Greater Demon that you summoned to the Institute, defying all protocol and common sense?" She asked as she stood next to Alec.

"Don't put this all on Jace." Alec interjected. "I had a part in this, too."

"Look," Jace snapped. "If you want to bench your best fighter with a Greater Demon on the loose, I'm happy to oblige."

"No." The Inquisitor sighed, knowing that Jace was right. "First we vanquish Azazel. Then I'll decide what to do with you."

She walked off and Alec started to turn away, looking towards Jace. He arched an eyebrow, silently asking if Jace would follow.

"Go." Jace told him. "I'll catch up."

It took ten minutes for both men to suit up and meet back in the ops room, Clary joining them this time. Although she looked quite happy, the exact opposite of how she'd looked the day before, it was obvious to Alec that she was still very uncomfortable around Jace. She stood on the other side of the table than them and wouldn't make eye contact with Jace.

"Azazel's attacks go as far south as the meatpacking district and then the trail runs cold." Alec reported.

"It's no use just tracking the dead bodies." Jace voiced his opinion. "With his ability to dematerialize he could be anywhere."

"Maybe we can help." Izzy called out, alerting the other three to her presence. Jace, Alec and Clary all turned to watch her approach with a man they'd never seen before following close behind.

"Izzy!" Clary gasped, grabbing her sister into a hug. "We've been so worried about you! Where have you been?"

Izzy and Alec exchanged a glance. "Looking for Azazel." She turned back to Clary. "This is Sebastian Verlac, from the London Institute. When the demon came after me, Sebastian saved my life."

"Oh, I simply lent a hand." Sebastian replied modestly, smiling.

"Sebastian's am expert on all things Azazel." Izzy told her siblings.

"When I studied abroad at the Paris Institute, I specialized in Greater Demons." Sebastian elaborated.

"Thanks for saving my sister." Alec held a hand out to Sebastian who shook it. "I'm Alec."

"Hey. Yeah, thank you. I'm Jace." Jace also shook Sebastian's hand.

"The great warrior in the flesh." Sebastian remarked. "Your reputation precedes you." He turned to Clary. "As does yours. You must be Clary. Valentine's daughter."

"My father's name is Robert Lightwood." Clary corrected.

"So, tell us about Azazel." Jace interrupted. "How do we take him down?"

"The only way to banish him is to puncture his demonic core." Sebastian informed him. "In corporeal form, it's between the T8 and T9 vertebrae, but it's not that simple. The core is about the size of a pea."

"Oh, so the entry point's right below his sternum?" Jace asked, clearly interested in what Sebastian had to say.

Sebastian nodded; arms crossed across his chest as he hummed in agreement.