iii.

tainted dreams | chapter three
___

tainted dreams | chapter three___

___

Rosalie Evans, nine months in the future

After barely escaping a sharp knife that came flying towards her masked face, the blonde woman's eyes landed on the dead bodies surrounding her. Something had gone wrong along the way and she couldn't pin point which of her actions blew it up.

One of the bulky figures threw another weapon at her, shouting blasphemies in Portuguese as she barely escaped their thrusts over and over again. 

They were still shouting as two more men came out of nowhere and drew out their weapons, even sharper and scarier-looking than the other ones.

"Shit." A sigh escaped her lips. She was screwed.

Her powers were sending distressed waves at her, begging to be released so they could save her from that horrible situation and end it as quickly as possible. Yet, even as she felt sweat running down her back from the strength she had to pull from her core to stop her powers from exploding out of her, Rosalie didn't even blink an eye.

She could do it on her own.

Thug number one decided it would be fun to try and sneak up on her. Unfortunately for that man, her hearing had been perfected over the ears and his steps weren't exactly silent, the muddy puddles contributing to the splashy sound of his feet hitting the concrete ground.

"Don't even think about it, buddy."

She couldn't lose control. Not again.

The blades swiftly turned from left to right to as Rosalie gathered her strength and stabbed her opponents right in their throats. She spun and jumped, kicked and punched every breathing creature around her.

"Volta aqui, sua puta!"

The yells of her opponents only angered her further and contributed to the uncontrollable need she was feeling to decapitate someone.

The weapons in her hands were stolen -as was everything she wore, ate and did for the past few years. And she was once again faced with a painfully annoying gang of wannabe street fighters, who followed her out of one of their warehouses.

I was only snooping around, I certainly need these things more that they do.

"Oh, screw it."

Nearly every single one of the men fell to the floor as her powers flew from her outstretched hand, following the blades' movements and parting ways with the weapon, penetrating their bodies like twirling snakes. Now, there was only one left. And he ran away like a scared cat after realising he was all alone in that fight against her.

Rosalie smirked and picked what she had been looking for up. And by looking for -she had been trying to steal it from these men's warehouse. She didn't know their backstory, but she was aware of their nasty reputation in that part of the globe.

Europe was indeed a dangerous place.

Footsteps echoed behind her in the dark alley, the men's bodies torn and bloody as the blonde woman cleaned her blades on the sleeve of her worn leather jacket. As quickly as possible, she spun on her heels and pointed the knife at the person's throat.

Unmoving, said person merely stared at the blonde's shining clear eyes and held her gaze.

"Rosalie."

The blonde's mask was quickly thrown to the ground. She didn't want her eyes to be covered, not believing her eye sight.

Nine months. Nine months had gone by since the last time she heard that name. Her name. Nine months had gone by since the last time Rosalie saw the woman standing patiently in front of her.

The woman she had abandoned, along with her own home and safe haven.

Her heart fell as she felt the woman's eyes roaming and examining her broken figure. A lot had changed in the past nine months, not only her exterior appearance. And it seemed that she could see every broken piece of Rosalie's soul scattered all over her body.

Tears started to stream down her face, emotion overcoming her, something she hadn't felt in so long. The only things she had allowed herself to feel lately were pain, anger and resentment.

Sobbing and releasing her weapons, she prepared herself for another painful moment in her life.

"Nat."

And there she was standing, holding an umbrella and wearing casual clothes like Rosalie had never seen her wear before.

A lot can change in nine months. Great changes people.

"You shouldn't be here." Rosalie said, tears falling down her rosy cheeks.

"Neither should you."

"I needed something." Short sentences were shared between the pair, both examining the other with hawk-like eyes.

"Is that what you're calling this?" Nat stepped forward as Rosalie stepped back, kicking her stolen weapons away. "Killing all these people isn't gonna bring Peter back."

"Don't say his name. Please..."

Nat started to look emotional, on the verge of crying as she saw what her little cherub had become. A cold, calculative young woman. And extremely damaged.

"We found him. Tony."

Now openly crying, Rosalie shook her head as her heart started to burn inside her chest. It couldn't be true, there was no way she had been fighting for a new meaning in life while Tony was still alive and well.

But Peter isn't. Peter is still dead.

"Don't..."

"Don't what?" Natasha asked as she stepped forward. This time, Rosalie didn't offer resistance as Nat approached her trembling figure.

"Don't give me hope, Nat." Rosalie's voice broke as her heart did the same and she fell to her knees, sobbing in Nat's arms, both surrounded by corpses and blood.

"I'm sorry." Nat caressed her hair. "I'm so sorry I couldn't give it to you sooner."

The pair rocked back and forth together, the younger girl feeling safer than she did in the past few months. She had missed the warmth of a loving embrace, the smell of Nat's flowery perfume and her calloused hands running through her hair in a calming lullaby.

"Come back home, cherub."

After hearing her childhood nickname, Rosalie couldn't hold it in any longer. She cried and allowed Nat to hold her fragile figure in her arms as the redhead guided them to Rosalie's old motel room. Gathering her belongings in her small bag, they smiled at each other.

Rosalie would go back home.

She was finally going back home.

——
aaaaaand they're officially back together! this chapter was an emotional rollercoaster for me... in case you didn't notice, this chapter is an updated version of the prologue, i wanted to give you guys a more deep reunion and more content so here it is!
don't forget to vote and comment to show your support, and i'll ser you guys soon with a new chapter!